My name is Inbal Sabag and I’m the Customer Success Expert for the Cloud Portal team. As such, I work with a lot of customer implementation projects. One of the challenges faced by a lot of these projects is how to create a Cloud Portal based site which looks good on smartphones. I’d like to offer some best practices based on the ongoing implementation projects as well s the ones which already went live.
 Consider the UX and Information Architecture
What are the available options?
- Develop single site, which will work for both smartphone and desktop (with the concept of responsive design).
- Develop 2 single sites, one for desktop and one mobile friendly site for smartphone. Cloud Portal has a built-in mechanism to render the right site according the user agent and the device type.
- Use Fiori Launchpad site
How to choose the best mobile approach for your implementation?
If you have a simple site, with 1 level of navigation and 1-10 pages, I would go with option #1, otherwise, I would develop 2 sites, based on a different information architecture. For the desktop, I would keep the complexity of navigation hierarchy and multiple site element, while for smartphone I would keep a leaner version, “clean and simple” as possible.
If your business site is just about render Fiori or Fiori-like application, I would go with a single Fiori Launchpad site (read more, SAP HANA Cloud Portal Documentation) , with several tiles, as this is responsive and will support all mobile devices by design (SAPUI5 PAM support).
Who can assist?
You can also follow the documentation – https://help.hana.ondemand.com/cloud_portal/frameset.htm?d8342f1d72c14d5b91ab078f5758b6f1.html
 Handle Performance aspects
What should you look out for?
While develop your Portal applications (aka “widgets”), you are highly recommended to
- Use caching of resources
- Minify the code
- Optimize the image size to meet web usage standards
- Enable compression of resources
- Optimize your SAPUI5 resources
By that you’ll reduce the number of round trips, and redundant loading of common libraries to the client.
How to achieve that?
Follow those guidelines:
- Cache-Control enablement for shindig cache activation:
- Server side response compression enablement for specified MIME types and sizes: https://help.hana.ondemand.com/help/frameset.htm?390594a7ee9e4a51b5f5eb6af61d8bdc.html
- Optimizing SAPUI5 Apps: http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/front-end/blog/2015/02/18/optimizing-openui5-apps | https://github.com/geekflyer/gulp-ui5-preload
To add on that, you should consider the Widget Implementation Granularity – The Cloud Portal shell renders iFrames (part of the product roadmap is to change this approach). Each widget is represented by single iFrame, so try to avoid many iFrames on the same page.
Who can assist?
For more information, contact email@example.com
 Check out the product official PAM Support
Please note that not all of the public OpenSocial APIs provided by Cloud Portal will work on Mobile devices.
Also, not all widgets will work by default.
For example, Widget menu, and the related API that provides the structure of the site to enable creation of custom menu with multiple level and hierarchy, isn’t relevant for smartphone, as according the user experience designers of the product, you should avoid multiple hierarchy on smartphone devices, and you are recommended to keep it lean, so the API won’t work for mobile.
Where can you find the product PAM?
Please note that despite the fact that Android isn’t in the list, many of our customers are running Cloud Portal sites on Android, without any issues. In the future version, we will support the same PAM support as UI provides, and Android is planned to be officially supported.
Where can you find the Supported APIs list?
- Supported Cloud Portal Widgets – https://help.hana.ondemand.com/cloud_portal/frameset.htm?0b2708e601624d4ca0325200475bf14b.html
- Supported APIs Llist – https://help.hana.ondemand.com/cloud_portal/frameset.htm?0561c3a1b0d947feb77106b1d4f09995.html
Now you are ready to start your implementation.
Customer Success Expert
HANA Cloud Portal Management