Recently we have rolled out SAP R/3 and SAP GTS to one of our newly acquired EU business unit. As part of this roll out we had to mass upload close to 10000 material masters HS Codes assignment in GTS PROD. Due to heavy work load from R/3 side we have not focused on GTS upload functionality test/validation until cut over phase started therefore we had to rush in the last moment to complete this task. Unfortunately I did not find a clear upload instructions list in any forum/Website for my specific situation but luckily we were able to over come this with a day effort.
I thought of sharing my new HS code upload learning with you all.
- Most of the SAP forums or SAP help suggested to down load R/3 MARC table as unconverted file and upload as it is, and for sure this will work perfectly.
- But unfortunately in our organization we don’t maintain HS Code data in R/3 (May be similar in some companies) therefore we will not have complete data in MARC table, this is where I tried to find instructions to prepare upload file but no luck.
Transaction code/Program to upload Product HS Code assignment (Mass) in GTS
If it is a single HS Code assignment then you can use normal product classification work list from menu. If you have different HS Code for each material then you need to use below transaction.
Upload File preparation steps
1. Initially take a spreadsheet and it should not contain more than 30,000 entries per sheet.
3. Important information about the format are:
a. Column headers must be exactly as shown.
b. Columns A, C, E, G, I and K must contain the pipe symbol. Enter ” | ” into spreadsheet cell exactly as shown in this sentence. This functions as a space delimiter in the output file
c. Important: Format all columns containing data (not pipes) with column width of 20.
d. Format cells in all columns except „STAWN‟ as text.
e. Left justify all columns.
f. Fill all rows in column J with the value “X”.
4. Now first save the excel file, and go to save as option and select Formatted Text (Space delimited) option like below, this will create “.prn‟ file type
.PRN File looks like below
Data Upload Process:
Use the SE38 transaction in production GTS to execute program or directly execute /SAPSLL/MARC_UPLOAD_R3.
The selection screen should have the following specified by the variant:
a. GROUPING: (logical system group) example: PRD010
b. Plant: XXXX (same as what is entered in the input file)
c. Number scheme: Name for the particular commodity code (HTS) schema
d. Country Dependent: not checked
e. Country key: blank
f. Simulation‟ box: blank (can be used for a practice run first)
g. Change existing Records box: checked
Hope this is helpful.