Folks,

If you feel that preparing for SAPPHIRE/ASUG conference is like another full-time job – you are not alone. Just last night finally I was able to complete my agenda draft even though at first glance it seemed like in the technical areas pickings were rather slim (it’s not TechEd after all). Unfortunately the Agenda Wizard happened to be, as my son would say, “0% helpful”, so I turned to the previous TechEd experience in the agenda building. My session “vetting” process includes these simple steps.

• Dump the whole session list into Excel spreadsheet and use filters to select the tracks (first two characters in session ID) I’m interested in. At SAPPHIRE my interests mostly include tracks BT (Business Integration), EA (Enterprise Architecture – not that I have a clue but it seems these days everyone is an aspiring Architect), PO (Portals – not a big fan, but since there is the whole track they must be onto something) and UX (User Experience). This should bring the list of 1000+ sessions to more manageable number. Like 400.
  • Scan the descriptions and mark the “must have” sessions (those usually “jump” at you) as well as some lower priority ones.
  • Use Agenda Builder on the conference web site to add the “must have” items. If some times are double- booked, check if the session is recurring or recorded and make changes accordingly.
  • Stuff the remaining available times (if any) from the “B list”. If any time slots still remain (luckyyyyy!), search the full agenda for potential additional activities.

Usually I try to leave a bit of time to browse the vendor booths, grab some food and just take a breath. There is always something to see and do at these events but taking care of yourself is important as well.

Below is the result of some nail-biting decisions:

Session ID Title Room Day Start Time End Time
BT1453 Warner Bros.: Technical Deployment and Support Considerations for Running SAP Business Suite on SAP HANA S331D 05/05/2015 11:00 AM 12:00 PM
BT1811 Changes to Custom Development with the Advent of SAP HANA S331B 05/05/2015 12:30 PM 1:30 PM
BT404 Build Your Own Hybrid, Mobile SAP Fiori Apps Rapidly Using SAP Web IDE S331A 05/05/2015 12:30 PM 1:30 PM
EA2331 SAP Architecture Support for Enterprise Architects – From Business Process to Landscape Planning S310G 05/05/2015 1:45 PM 2:45 PM
BT1312 Art of the Possible with SAP Fiori and Real Life User Experience Stories, and Lessons Learned S331A 05/05/2015 3:00 PM 4:00 PM
BT1423 SAP Data Archiving and Image Archiving 101 S331C 05/06/2015 11:00 AM 12:00 PM
UX316 Improve the UX with SAP Screen Personas and SAP Fiori – Norfolk Southern’s Journey S210C 05/06/2015 11:00 AM 12:00 PM
RM2389 Road Map: SAP S/4HANA – the Next-Generation Business Suite S210D 05/06/2015 12:30 PM 1:30 PM
UX621 SAP Fiori Launchpad Solution in Detail – Deployment Options and Architecture Recommendations S210C 05/06/2015 12:30 PM 1:30 PM
AD1902 SAP HANA Extended Application Services Engine Development: Lockheed Martin’s Exploration into an Alternative Development Technology to Access SAP HANA S311 05/06/2015 2:30 PM 3:30 PM
PO460 Learn How Johnson and Johnson Redesigned Its Global SAP Enterprise Portal Component S310E 05/06/2015 2:30 PM 3:30 PM
PT21886 Start Your Journey with a Free Trial of SAP S/4HANA PT401 05/06/2015 4:00 PM 4:20 PM
BT458 Improving the User Experience with SAP Fiori S331A 05/06/2015 4:15 PM 5:15 PM
BT177 B2B Capabilities of SAP Process Integration and SAP Process Orchestration S331C 05/07/2015 8:00 AM 9:00 AM
BN20496 Support IT Projects with Outside Resources BN322 05/07/2015 9:00 AM 9:20 AM
PT21644 Discover SAP S4/HANA, Our Next-Generation Business Suite PT415 05/07/2015 9:00 AM 9:45 AM
AD124 Using SAPUI5 to Enhance SAP Enterprise Learning and SAP Solution Manager Capabilities S311 05/07/2015 12:00 PM 1:00 PM
EA653 Head in the Cloud but Feet Firmly on the Ground S310G 05/07/2015 12:00 PM 1:00 PM
BT162 Introduction to SQLScript in SAP HANA S331D 05/07/2015 2:00 PM 3:00 PM
EA744 Practical Guide to User Experience Including Mobile S310G 05/07/2015 2:00 PM 3:00 PM
PT21648 Reimagine Logistics and Manufacturing with SAP S/4HANA PT410 05/07/2015 3:30 PM 3:50 PM

You might notice that some times are still double-booked. I intentionally left it like that in case there are some last minute changes (happened at TechEd) or if after Day 1 I realize that it’s already enough of a specific subject.

This year the SAP Mentors are sporting blue shirts (very much like Best Buy employees) and there are not that many female Mentors, so I won’t be hard to find. Note that if you wave at me and I look right through you it’s not because I’m being rude but most likely because of some deep thought process going on in my head (like mentally working on another blog 🙂 ). Well, that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it!

See you in Orlando!

P.S. Some additional last minute SAPPHIRE themed blogs that you might find helpful:

My session pick for SAPPHIRE NOW & ASUG conference

Back to Orange County, again

HANA Cloud Platform at SAPPHIRE NOW: The RoundUp

1. Matt Fraser

My first thought on seeing “agenda-for-the-it-crowd” was we’re the “it” crowd, a bit like the “in” crowd, except maybe not so much “in.”

And if I seem to be looking “through” you, it’s because my vanity didn’t let me wear my glasses, and I probably only see a flesh-colored blur where your face should be. 😉

(0)
  2. Tammy Powlas

I recommend BT1423  – not only do I know the speaker, but when a co-worker attended the session a few years ago he came back really understanding the topic

BT162 – great speaker and great presenter…

(0)
  3. Simon To

HI Jelena, I feel the same thing about Agenda Builder. Therefore, I pretty much never use it except to pull all the sessions that I am interested and then dump them into Google Sheet for sorting and filtering. I prefer Google Sheet over Excel because I can access the information from every single mobile device that I have. And best of all, it is free. 🙂

(0)
  4. Gregory Misiorek

my strategy for TechEd (assuming it’s a similar event) has been very simple. there are so many sessions that you can always find something interesting or unexpected just by walking around.

not unlike your kids would when visiting other parts of Orlando.

have fun!

(0)
    1. Jelena Perfiljeva Post author

I’m an obsessive planner, so if didn’t know exactly where and when to go I’d likely end up breathing into a paper bag somewhere in a corner. 🙂

(0)
      1. Matt Fraser

Yeah, that was me for about a minute when my very first planned session was closed out, full, just as I was walking up to it. I panicked for a second, then noticed the room right next door was on a related topic, so, what the hell, went to that one. It wasn’t very good, though, and left me wondering if everything would be as dull. Fortunately, not.

(0)