- How to get better at SD?
- How to succeed in SD interviews?
- How to impress the client?
- How to get more learning out of each day?
Chunking is one of the solutions!
Chunking or association is used by the brain to store and access information.
Chunking is a concept which is used by professionals from various fields. I am using this technique and getting HUGE benefits.
This technique can be used by anyone and from any module!
I. What is chunking?
From the internet:
(in psychology or linguistic analysis) group together (connected items or words) so that they can be stored or processed as single concepts.
“pupils are able to chunk phrases or propositions into units”
Our technique: Link 3 to 4 points to a main-point. Every day think of the main-points, and with it go through the linked points also. Repeat this exercise and over time you will be strong in SD.
Again: One main-point, for example rebates and then 2 to 3 linked points
– configuration of rebate functionality
– mater data (creation of rebate agreement VBO1) what are the important fields?
Whenever you think about rebates, you always think about these two linked points. You will get more understanding of rebates this way, by chunking (or associating linked points)
II. How will chunking help?
Gives a direction to learning
Your learning will be purposeful. You will not wander. You know what is important and you will be looking for those pieces of information. By being purposeful, you will retain things for a longer time.
Effective utilization of time
Because of chunking, I have been able to utilize my time effectively and efficiently. At any point of the day, e.g. during travel, I can start mental exercising
Daily preparation will make you confidence. You will learn and retain the important things. This will show during job interviews and work (project work interacting with clients).
III. Preparation – making chunks
This is an important investment activity.
What should an SD analyst think about?
- Business processes
- Master data
- Basic Functions
- Transaction data
Not a day should pass by without thinking of the above 4 main-points! Make chunks for all these 4 main-points and start exercising daily.
1. Business processes
Take a group of business processes (e.g. complaints), start mental exercising:
- What are few processes – credit, returns, subsequent delivery free
- What happens in each process – very briefly (two line descriptions)
- What are the order types, item categories, delivery types and billing types
- What are the important fields – Order reason, reference mandatory. Business explanation of each of these fields
2. Master data
Take a master data – e.g. customers, start mental exercising:
- In sales area data, what are the groups (tabs)
- What fields are related to organization – sales office, sales group. Business example of each of these
- What fields are relevant for pricing – customer group, price group, price list. Examples of each, you can check F4 options, provided by SAP
4. Transaction data
Create/Display an order
- What is the description of order type? Guess what could be the process. After guessing, look into the document flow
- What is the sales area? sales organization, distribution channel, division
- What are the F4 options for Sales area –,
- In press F4, what are the other options for distribution channel and division. What is the business purpose of distribution channel and division. For this read F1 help too.
- What is the business purpose of Sales office and sales group. What are the other offices and groups, press F4
IV. Preparation – re-making chunks
This is a continuous process, if you have memorized some points, you can add some new points to be chunked with the (4) main-points. Prioritize from business point of view (what is important to business?)
V. To be discussed
Table and field level chunking
If you need any other information, any clarification, then please comment.
I am using this technique and it is benefiting me tremendously. It could be used by beginners or advanced SAP professionals.
Keep in mind, the points should prioritized and only the top ones should be chunked and then exercised regularly.