Try out the SAP Cloud Platform Gamification Service
What do you need to try out the HCP Gamification Service?
You need a free SAP Cloud Platform developer account (trial instance): Signing Up for a Developer Account
Note: We recommend that you use the Firefox or Chrome Web Browser.
How to Subscribe to the Gamification Service?
- Log on the SAP Cloud Platform Cockpit: https://account.hanatrial.ondemand.com/cockpit.
- Go to the Services tab
- Go to Gamification Service
- Choose Enable for the gamification service entry.
- A subscription of the gamification service will be automatically assigned to your account.
- All roles (AppStandard, AppAdmin, GamificationDesigner, TenantOperator, helpdesk) are automatically assigned to your user. These roles are required to access the Gamification Service Workbench and the sample application (Help Desk).
- A subscription of the sample application Help Desk is automatically assigned to your account.
- The destinations “gsdest” and “gswidgetdest” are automatically created. The destinations are required by the sample application.
- Principal propagation for the local service provider is enabled.
Further documentation: https://help.hana.ondemand.com/help > SAP Cloud Platform > Services > Gamification Service > Getting Started > Enable Gamification Service
How to use the Sample Application and Get Started?
Note: You must have obtained subscriptions for the Gamification Service Workbench and Sample Application (Help Desk) through service enablement.
1 Configure Roles (optional)
All roles (AppStrandard, AppAdmin, GamificationDesigner, TenantOperator, helpdesk) are automatically assigned to your user. If you want to grant other users the roles proceed as follows:
- Select the gamification service and choose Configure Gamification Service.
- Select the Roles tab.
- Assign the roles AppStandard, AppAdmin and helpdesk to the user.
Further documentation: https://help.hana.ondemand.com/help > SAP HANA Cloud Platform > Services > Gamification Service > Getting Started > Assign Gamification Roles
2 Configure Destinations
Note: The two destinations “gsdest” and “gswidgetdest” are automatically created while being enabled for your account. You only need to enter the user credentials.
- On the Cloud Platform cockpit account page navigate to the Destinations section. Note: Do not use the destinations of your subscription.
- Open the destination “gsdest”.
- Enter the user ID and password of your SAP ID user (same as SCN).
- Note: In productive scenarios a separate user is recommended.
Further documentation: https://help.hana.ondemand.com/help > SAP HANA Cloud Platform > Services > Gamification Service > Getting Started > Configure Destinations
3 Generate Demo Content for HelpDesk Sample App
- During first launch of the Gamification Service Workbench you will be asked to create the demo content. Press on Create.
- Optional: Open the Gamification Service Workbench is opened.
- Go to the Administration tab in the Gamification Service Workbench.
- Go to Demo Content Generatio and press Create HelpDesk Demo and press Confirm in the upcoming dialog. After a while you will see the notification “Demo app successfully created.”
- Switch to the “HelpDesk” application by using the dropdown box in the upper right corner of the Gamification Service Workbench to select the sample app context.
- Go to the Summary tab to check if all game mechanics are available.
Further documentation: https://help.hana.ondemand.com/help > SAP Cloud Platform > Services > Gamification Service > Getting Started > Generate Demo Content for HelpDesk
4 Use Sample App – Help Desk
- Go to the Services tab.
- Choose Go to Service of the gamification service subscription. The Gamification Service Workbench is opened.
- Click the Help link in the upper right corner of the Gamification Service Workbench. A help popup appears.
- Click the Open HelpDesk link in the help popup.
- You can now start using the application and process tickets. For each ticket you will gain experience points according to the demo content created. For critical tickets three experience points are assigned. Furthermore, missions and badges are assigned. (Details on the gamification design can be found here: https://help.hana.ondemand.com/help > SAP Cloud Platform > Services > Gamification Service > Case Study: Gamified Help Desk Application > Gamification Design
Further documentation: https://help.hana.ondemand.com/help > SAP Cloud Platform > Services > Gamification Service > Getting Started > Use Gamified HelpDesk App
Detailed Documentation for a Gamification Service integration scenario?
Further Documentation: https://help.hana.ondemand.com/help > SAP Cloud Platform > Services > Gamification Service > Integrating Service into Target Application
Hands On: Using the SAP HCP Gamification Service (by Philipp Stehle, Moya Watson, Michael Ameling,)
Integrating SAP Cloud Platform Gamification Service into an Issue Tracking Tool (JIRA) (by Anuj Mehta)
How to consume the SAP Cloud Platform Gamification Web APIs (by Sourav Mukherjee)
Questions and Feedback?
We highly appreciate your questions or feedback. Please add your comments below.
Additionally, you can keep yourself up to date by visiting the SAP Cloud Platform Release Notes page regularly.
Destinations are not visible
In case you don´t see the automatically created destinations you are probably at the wrong space. You have to go the the Destinations tab of your account (not from the subscriptions).
HelpDesk app does not work
Most likely you have not entered your SAP ID User (same as SCN) password in the destination "gsdest".
In case you forgot your SAP ID Password you can reset your password here: SAP ID - Forgot My Password
Note, that Password for your s-user has to be Enabled in SAP Cloud Identity
I try to test integration aspect with links, described in SAP HANA Cloud Platform
Is it available for demo application?
And this shows more
But I expect to see
Hi Vasiliy -
There's a password that appears to be saved by default in the gsdest destination -- when I changed that to my SCN user ID password, this worked. Try that out and see if it helps? Let me know!
Thanks Moya. This solves the issue in case you don´t see your user profile or don´t get notifications in the sample app (Help Desk). Regarding the issue with the userprofile embedded as iFrame please see my comment below.
the behaviour is correct. The user profiles are protected by default. In order to see basic user achievements as an administrator you can go on the "Players" tab in the Gamification Workbench and select the according user:
The access to the user profile via the iFrames using /gamification/userprofile.html requires an according security mechanism. In our sample app (Help Desk) you can see how the integration is done. The source code is available on GitHub. (The integration of the user profile is done in the file profile.view.js). In our automatically deployed sample app the security is covered via destinations (basic authentication). The result can be seen if you open the Help Desk app (via Help in the Workench) and press on your user name on the top right corner:
Thank you a lot for your detailed answer, Michael!
I like this Gamification Service - it can really bring value to the HR cases I'm working around.
Is it possible to integrate this Gamification Platform also with Drupal?
in general the Gamification Service is open for the integration in any application. An integration in Drupal would require the following integration steps:
The integration can be done via the API (Gamification Workbench > Help > Open API Documentation) of the Gamification Service. An example of an integration scenario is described in the following documentation: Integrating Gamification Service into a Target Application
Thanks Michael! This is very helpful.
I'm able to run the application but I do not get any points!
Do you have any idea, what the reason could be?
Generally I like preconfigured destinations and the concept of the Helpdesk demo app very much!
Thanks a lot for your feedback!
The most common reason is the configuration of destinations. Can you please check that you entered your username and password (SAP Identity User) manually in your destination "gsdest" of your account (not service).
Another issue could be that you have not created any content (default content). Can you please check if you have any points, levels and rules deployed on you summary page?
I can see the gamification service in my trial account, but can't see the gamification service in our productive landscape. I enabled the function to show BETA services but it's still not showing up.
Is it not released for the productive enviroments yet?
Great post. Looking forward to build our first gamification service for Jira.
this is correct. Currently the service is only released on Trial. We are currently working on to make it available in the productive environments (with Beta flag). I´ll send an update once it is available.
It would be nice that team can add creator or group so they can be easily identified by different people.