FAME: Fleet Analytics Mobile Enabled: A SAP HANA solution for smarter fleet management
About the partner: Hinduja Tech
Hinduja Tech is an integrated enterprise and technology service provider with a specialized focus on the automotive and manufacturing sector. Hinduja Tech designs and delivers cutting edge solutions for leading automotive and manufacturing customers by seamlessly blending core technical capabilities with a deep domain knowledge.
The advent of Big Data and Internet of Things (IoT) have revolutionized the way data is analysed and utilized by industries to take well informed decisions. Hinduja Tech’s experience translates into a strong belief that when any of these two technologies are used in tandem with SAP HANA to build domain specific solutions, the resultant is a path-breaking solution which makes the relevant industry smarter and more productive.
Sensing the need for such a trailblazing technology solution to make fleet management and operations smarter, Hinduja Tech has developed an IoT solution called FAME (Fleet Analytics Mobile Enabled) for Ashok Leyland Limited in collaboration with SAP Co-innovation Lab.
FAME increases both the connectedness and efficiency of the fleet management environment by harnessing the combined strengths of SAP HANA and IoT, thereby reinventing the way businesses like Ashok Leyland Limited, view fleet management and operations.
Ashok Leyland Limited, a major automotive player with operations across the globe is our customer who has adopted FAME and will leverage it to optimize fleet management and operations.
Quote from Ashok Leyland, FAME customer
“FAME, an IoT driven Telematics solution not only helps our customer experience the ‘pulse’ of their fleet on a real time basis but also helps the organization transform the way it conceives, designs, manufactures, sells and service its products by gaining deeper ‘Customer insights through Product Insights’ “
– Venkatesh Natarajan,Vice President,IT, Ashok Leyland
What does FAME address :
FAME leverages SAP HANA to radically transform fleet operations by addressing the needs of all the stakeholders or the 3Cs i.e., Customer, Channel Partner & Company (Ashok Leyland) on a unified platform by providing a continuous stream of actionable insights based on analysis of real-time data.
Collating real-time OBU data and the use of a mobile device for its complete monitoring has always been a challenge.
FAME surmounts this challenge by being a mobile enabled fleet analytics application which operates on data collected from thousands of vehicles across the country through their OBU, every 15 seconds.
The OBU data is then streamed into the In-memory SAP HANA database in real-time. The data collected includes vital vehicle health parameters like :
- Engine RPM
- Coolant temperature
- Fuel System Status
- Speed of Vehicle
- Absolute air pressure
- Ignition timing
- Inlet air temperature
- Mass air flow
- Fuel pressure, etc., apart from GPS and Time data
This data is analysed and insights are generated so as to enable the stake holders to take well informed decisions and actions. These insights are rendered into the role based, user friendly FAME dashboard using SAP UI5.
The insight provided by this SAP HANA platform empowers all the three stakeholders of the ecosystem.
Fleet Analytics Mobile Enabled (FAME) was conceived as a solution offering by Ashok Leyland to provide holistic benefit to the 3Cs i.e., Customer, Channel Partner & Company (Ashok Leyland).
Benefits of FAME to Customer
- Location based information
- Vehicle Health monitoring facilitating early warning of failures
- Driver Profiling & driving patterns
- Quick breakdown assistance
- Improvement in vehicle up-time
Real time vehicle data for Fleet operators with live vehicle performance
Benefits of FAME to Channel Partner
- Improved Service levels
- Increase in Service revenue
Integrated workflows between Fleet Manager, Service Engineer and suggested vehicle dealers
Benefits of FAME to Company (Ashok Leyland)
- Improved product design and product quality
- Reduced warranty expenditure
- Early detection of epidemic failures
- Usage based business models for Vehicle Insurance, AMC
- Analysis of driving pattern of the drivers facilitating design of Driver training courses
Track vehicles service status and vehicle and driver performance using Analytics
How does FAME leverage SAP HANA capabilities?
SAP HANA’s integrated architecture provides the capabilities for FAME to easily process large, real time geographical and streaming data and provide analytics and workflow capabilities on top of it.
What is the power of FAME built on SAP HANA?
FAME uses HANA’s power to store continuous streams of data received from OBU’s and periodically send this information to the application loaded on device built using
HANA’s UI capabilities: SAP UI5.
The insights provided by this SAP HANA platform empowers all the stakeholders of the ecosystem in the following ways:
- FAME on SAP HANA helps Customers to take quick real-time decisions which helps them minimize their operational costs, optimize fleet utilizations, and provide better delivery commitments to their customers.
- FAME makes Channel Partners smarter by helping them provide a personalized service to their customers, render immediate and on-time road side assistance, and use data for better vehicle-parts inventory management.
- Workflow triggers on SAP HANA receiving live OBU data.
- It assists the R&D efforts of the company engineers, testers, and personnel in the R&D team and Quality Management team, by analysing millions of vehicles data on-road for aiding new product development apart from drilling down to Vehicle-Parts level performance data for improving supplier quality.
FAME thus promises a revolutionary automotive SAP HANA-IOT solution designed to transform the efficiency and performance of major automotive players and provide a fresh perspective on their workflow processes.
Thanks goes to…
HTL Team – Prasan Ramachandra, Padmanabhan S, Himachal Jothinarasimhan, Nirumal Thomas, Madhusudan Pareek, Vinod Shanmugam, Sathish Kumar Pushparaj
SAP COIL Team – Vasanth Kumar, Vidya Gugnani, James Michael Amulu, Radha Fogla, Suvodeep Das
Ashok Leyland Team – Venkatesh Natarajan, Narendra Babu Dhamodharan, Ramya Natarajan, Manoj Chandrasekhar