On Friday March 27th, Darriel Dawne, Head of Transformation for SAP Marketing, joined me at the University of Notre Dame as a panelist and case competition judge at the Mendoza College of Business 2015 Marketing Symposium. This year’s symposium theme was “Collaborative Marketing” and co-sponsored by SAP, Google, IBM, Whirlpool, TD Ameritrade, and Eli Lilly among others. The event was attended by over 50 students, faculty and business leaders interested in the topic. Darriel can be seen in the photos above, sitting as the middle panelist for one of the breakout sessions on “The Advantages and Challenges of Establishing and Nurturing Inter-organizational Collaboration”.
Mike Mannor, Notre Dame Assistant Professor of Management, served as the moderator of the collaboration panel that included:
- Heather Lowey, the Head of Team Services for the Adidas Group. In her role, Heather is responsible for the relationship and partnerships with the NBA, NHL, MLS, Crossfit, and UFC. Her group services all of the outfitting from uniforms down to practice wear and coaches/staff apparel and headwear. In addition, she works with the marketing departments to outfit staff, plan gifting for events and corporate partners, and plans with the teams how their brand will be executed on apparel and headwear.
- Gary Gigot, who has broad experience in advertising, software marketing, angel and VC investing, and now as a founder of Vennli, a South Bend based software company. Gigot was VP, Marketing at Microsoft during the Windows and Office launch era, and CMO at Visio during its growth period from 1994 to 1999 prior to its acquisition by Microsoft in 2000. Gigot was with Frazier Technology Investors for two funds and led their investments in Aprimo, which was sold to Teradata, and Docusign, which has emerged as the leader in digital signature technology. Gigot co-founded Vennli in 2013 on a strategy to become the platform for creating and executing growth strategy.
- Darriel Dawne. As Head of Transformation for SAP Marketing, her mission is to enable the end-to-end transformation in marketing to Run Simple and is responsible for the execution of the Run Simple Campaign. Since joining SAP in 2006 Darriel has brought her strategic, executional and change management expertise to six different departments and has held critical roles on several strategic initiatives. During the Business Objects acquisition she led change management efforts during the process and systems integration. Her key contributions to this effort resulted in her support of the setup and launch of a new strategic organization within SAP – Maintenance Go-to-Market – which was responsible for over 5 billion Euros in revenue annually.
Darriel also graciously agreed to serve as one of five judges for a case competition which was described as follows:
- Companies have been finding creative ways to collaborate with other companies/brands for centuries. Henry Ford worked with Harvey Firestone, P&G pioneered endorsements with the American Dental Association, and Nike and Apple have worked together to feature Apple technology in Nike products. Brand and company collaborations have continued to proliferate, with positive and negative results to brand reputations and bottom lines. The objective of this case is to recommend a brand or company collaboration that will have a positive impact on all parties involved.
Other business leaders that served as panelists or guest speakers during the day included:
- Jim Lecinski, Vice President, Americas Customer Solutions, Google
- Denise Karkos, Chief Marketing Officer, TD Ameritrade
- Bryan Aown, Director of New Business Creation, Whirlpool Corp.
- Robert Ethan Braden, Humatrope Brand Leader, Eli Lilly
- Michael Carson, EVP and CMO at Myxer Inc.
- Subrahmanyam Madduru, Brand Architect, IBM
The Mendoza College of Business at the University of Notre Dame is a premier Catholic business school that fosters academic excellence, professional effectiveness and personal accountability in a context that strives to be faithful to the ideals of community, human development and individual integrity. A leader in values-based education with the message of Ask More of Business™, the College offers innovative coursework that integrates real-life case studies, a faculty renowned for teaching and research, international study opportunities, and interactions with some of the foremost business thought leaders.