As i mentioned in the last post, now i share the restore procedure of sap backups that took from symantec netbackup.
OS – HP-UX
DB – oracle
Backup type – offline
restored system – restored in the same system where the backup was performed.
Points need to check from client side before restore:
- In init<SID>.utl file below parameters must exist.
- Also particular sap policy also need to keep active.
Start the restore from client side by giving below command.
Note: For SAP backups, we can only restore from client machine using brbackup command. Not from Symantec Netbackup console
brrestore -b beqcxoyz.aff -d util_file -p initZDB.sap -r initZDB.utl -m full
Once the restore complete, please check the status and confirm as above.
Check the permissions of the restored files and start the database
Since I restored the offline backup here, so no need have recover the database. If it is online backup, then we need to recover using latest archive files.
once the database started without any issues, start the sap and check the applications are working fine.
II. Restoration in different machine.
for restoring the backups in different machine, same procedure need to follow as above, but few points need to consider here.
1. copy the back<SID>.log, backup log file from source system of sapbackup directory to destination system sapbackup directory.
2. copy the init<SID>.sap and init<SID>.utl files from source system to destination system and dont change any values to new system. i.e need to maintain the client name, policy name as same as source system (this will change to destination system name later once everything got up). otherwise restore will not happen.
3. once the precheck finished, start the restore as above procedure and start the database.
“Please share your suggestions and valuable feedback”