When i tried to configure the sap backup in netbackup 7.6, i don’t get any step by step procedures in online.
i goggled lot of articles from symantec, sap and administration guide of netbackup and configured the backup our self. also logged a support case with symantec also for the issues and got help from them.
so i write the detailed steps of how to configure the sap oracle db backup in NBU for the persons like me. thanks for opportunity.
Appl – SAP EHP 6
DB – Oracle DB (without RMAN)
OS – HP-unix/Linux
1. Download the required netbackup client based on the OS
2. Install the netbackup client in the server which need to be backup. follow the client procedures as per symantec guide.
3. Copy the below files to /oracle/<SID>/112_64/dbs location from /usr/openv/netbackup/ext/db_ext/sap/scripts/sap_oracle.
4. In /oracle/<SID>/112_64/dbs rename the initSAP.utl and initSAP.sap as init<SID>.utl and init<SID>.sap
5. Edit the files init<SID>.sap, init<SID>.utl, sap_online_backup, as per required values. Here we need to choose the policy name that we going to create later. i choose as SCD_Online
must set the values in .utl file as below screenshot
Server – your master server name
Client – backup client
policy – policy name we are going to create in step 7
6.For netbackup backup, we need to link backint file with kernel.
For Unix or linux machines we need to create a symbolic link. Link backint from the NetBackup install directory to the SAP tools directory.
ln -s /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/backint /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run/backint
7. Create the policy for new backup as choose earlier (in step 5)
use the same policy name what we choose in step 5
in the above step, we need to mentioned the exact path of script file.
Next make a backup schedule as your wish and finish the process.
Pointsneed to check before start the backup.
1. Parameter values in init<SID>.sap, init<SID>.utl and script file.
2. permission of the above files must be ora<sid>:dba
3. permission of backint file as ora<sid>
by editing the commands in script file, we can able to take online backup along with archive files and on database backup. also we can able to take archivelog backup alone.
Please give your valuable comments and add any points i missed.
Note – my next story will be restoration of sap backups to the same client and different client