SAP Sybase Database ASE Installation steps on Linux
This document contains the steps that how to install SAP Sybase ASE on Linux. I have gone through many SAP SCN link and created this documents.
About SAP ASE :–
SAP Adaptive Server® Enterprise 15.7 is a high-performance relational database management system for mission-critical, data-intensive environments.It ensures highest operational efficiency and throughput on a broad range of platforms.
SAP ASE Sybase recommends that you use the GUI wizard to install Adaptive Server.
Table of Contents :-
1) SAP ASE Sysbase Architecture
2) Hardware Requirements
3) Software & Installation
1) SAP ASE 15.7 Sybase Architecture
ASE 15.7 – Virtual Server Architecture (VSA)
2) Hardware Requirements & Operating system
|Operating system requirements for Linux|
|x86_64 processor (Intel Xeon with EM64T)||Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.0 (Santiago) • kernel-2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64 • glibc-2.12-1.7.el6.x86_64 • compat-glibc-2.5-46.2.x86_64||At least 1GB|
|x86_64 processor (AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon with EM64T)||SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64); version 11 patch level 0: • kernel-220.127.116.11-5.1 • glibc-2.9-13.2||1BG|
Required libraries for Linux
Required X/Motif-related RPM package
These files should be compatible with RHEL5.3 or later.
|Linux Disk Space Requirements|
|Product||Linux X64 Requirements||Linux X64 PSeries Requirements|
|Adaptive Server typical installation||921MB||1092MB|
|Default databases created during installation||306MB||164MB|
In addition, there is a known OS kernel bug in scheduling threads in RHEL 6.0 that has been
fixed in RHEL 6.1; for this reason, Sybase recommends that you use 6.1.
Linux 64-bit x64 system memory requirements are:
• MinimumRAM required for AdaptiveServer, with defaultstack size, packetsize, and user
log cache size – 127 MB
• Minimum RAM per additional user – approximately 324KB
• Default user stack size – 128KB
3) Software & Installation
Downloaded the product from SPDC or SAP Service Marketplace, go to the directory where you extracted the
installation image and start the installer:
Note : Before you can install a 64-bit Adaptive Server version 15.7 ESD #2 to a Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 6.x x86_64, install the 32-bit GNU C Libraries package (glibc-2.xxx.xx.el6.i686.rpm). Each operating system has a default maximum shared-memory segment. Configure your operating system to allow the allocation of a shared-memory segment at least as large as the maximum memory value.
Log into OS level in Linux and use x-manager or other tool to launch the GUI wizard
Once you extracted the file which you are extracted the got to the directories and execute the below command
1. Choose as the installation directory
2. ‘Full’ installation then click ‘ Next’
3. Select license then click ‘Next’
4. Accept the license for your location and then Click ‘ Next’
5. Review the Pre-Installation Summary – All components will be installed ‘Next’
7. The ASE Server name will default to the machine’s network node name – leave this asa default. Then click ‘Next’
8. Set network port to 5000 (Windows default)
9. Leave Language, Character Set and Sort Order at default (see Notes)
10. Do NOT select to optimize ASE
11. Select to Create Sample databases
12. Click OK for the following message. We want 4k or higher page size
13. Ensure all devices are under the $SYBASE\data directory and default sizes. Then Click ‘ Next’
14. Keep Backup Server default name and port (5001) and the click ‘ Next’
15. Keep XP server name and port (5002) and then click ‘Next’
16. Keep Job Scheduler agent name and port(4900) and then click ‘Next’
17. Leave ‘sa’ as self management user and then click ‘Next’
18. Only configure UDP Adapter for discovery services and then click ‘Next’
19. Leave default ports (8282, 8283) for SCC and then click ‘Next’
20. Leave RMI service port at 9999 and then Click ‘Next’
21. Set sccadmin password and uafadmin
password to ‘sybase’ and then click ‘Next’
22. Select ‘Yes’ to start SCC as a service and then click ‘Next’
23. Review final installation summary screen
24. Installation and configuration starts – ASE and XP server first, then BS, JS_AGENT and SCC.
ASE may be stopped and restarted several times during this process
All the steps are done!