Kindly notice that the blog further below is now outdated and will not be further maintained. In particular, for S/4H scenarios, the information is not correct any more. Related up-to-date information can be found here here:
This is a specific view on the possible deployment options for Fiori on an ABAP based SAP Fiori Front-end server (also referred to as “FES” in this document). For a more holistic view that also considers non-ABAP deployment options, please refer to: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-58340
In the context of Fiori, the FES provides the following key capabilities:
- WebServer: serving the static UI5 resources to the requesting device.
- Gateway for oData calls: routing of oData service calls to the backend that implements the service.
- Fiori Launchpad Provider: providing the services required to run the Fiori Launchpad and keeping the related data model.
For more details, please refer to:
- SAPs online help: Setup of SAP Fiori System Landscape with ABAP Environment – SAP Fiori for SAP Business Suite – SAP Library
- A dedicated link list in SCN: Fiori Front-End Server 2.0 / 3.0 – Important Links
- Landscape Deployment Recommendations for SAP Fiori Front-End Server
When performing the landscape planning for the FES, there are general “patterns” of architectural questions that I have observed with myself and others. I am herewith trying to consolidate these questions and try to give some guidance – by putting down some decision-relevant criteria.
Basics: Installation Requirements
Minimum release / deployment requirements: to run the FES SPS04, you need at least Netweaver 7.31 SP5 (plus GW and UI Addon), Netweaver 7.40 SP8 or Netweaver 7.5 SP1 . A higher level is recommended. Please refer to SAP Help for more information: Installation Requirements (Transactional Apps) – SAP Fiori for SAP Business Suite – SAP Library.
Important: Some Fiori apps running on the FES define higher requirements! Most importantly, S/4HANA apps require the FES to run on an SAP Database (such as MaxDB, ASE or HANA). Please refer to the UI Technology Guide for SAP S/4HANA, on-premise edition 1511 for further information.
For the sizing the FES, please refer to:
- http://service.sap.com/sizing > Sizing Guidelines > Others > SAP Fiori Frontend Server Sizing for SAP S/4HANA
- Direct link: https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/012002523100012595652014E/Fiori_FES_Sizing.pdf
Basics: Unicode / Non-unicode backend
It is not recommend to use Fiori with non-unicode backends. For further information, please refer to the following notes:
Basics: Are there any DB restrictions for the FES
For the Fiori Front End Server 2.0, there are no per-se restrictions for the DB. The restriction depends on the content. For S/4 Fiori content, the supported databases on the FES are restrictured to any of the following DBs:
- SAP HANA
- SAP MaxDB
- Sybase ASE/SAP ASE
- Starting point: http://help.sap.com/s4hana > SAP S/4HANA, on-premise edition 1511 (or …FPS01)
- On the following page, under “Product Documentation”, the “UI Technology Guide” describes amongst others how to set up Fiori Apps.
- Direct link to the “UI Technology Guide”: https://uacp.hana.ondemand.com/http.svc/rc/PRODUCTION/pdffee10356f3b43a35e10000000a44538d/1511%20001/en-US/UITECH_OP1511_FPS01.pdf > Page 8.
2-tier FES for 3-tier Backend – DON’T
To reduce your FES landscape, you might want to think that reducing your FES landscape to a two-staged approach is possible in where the DEV FES connects to a DEV and Q Backend system.
In the past customer reportedly had this working, with some drawbacks, but now that with S/4H also WebDynpro and WebGUI tiles are connected, this results in an unsupported state.
(Just for historical reasons, here the statement from the past, which is no more strong enough
Customers who have followed this approach have provided feedback that this is generally working. Nonetheless, this approach cannot be considered best practice. A few aspects coming to my mind:
- Increases manual effort during testing (are you using the right system alias?)
- Possible intereference between development and test activities
- Possibility of invalid test results (if wrong system alias was set selected)
- In case of upgrades required on IW_BEP in the backend system: need to upgrade both DEV and Q Backend.
- Generally an asymetrical transport in the Backend.)