How the Internet of Things makes your Apple watch and phone the Swiss army knife of the 21st century
When I was in the boy scouts I had a pen knife that had about 20 different blades and 100’s of capabilities. From knife to screwdriver, and bottle opener to toothpick. It was truly a multi-purpose device that fit into your pocket.
Today, I can have devices that fit in my pocket and (based on todays announcement by Apple) on my wrist, that I can’t live without. I am amazed at the breadth of usage these smart devices can have, as more and more information and signals become available due to the IoT. In fact, many devices have (or will) become obsolete due to smart watches and phones.
- When was the last time I listened to a CD or MP3 player? I would not think of using any other device to listen to my music?
- As the picture quality has progressed, I never carry a camera any more
- When I go on vacation or attend a school concert, I no longer have the big bag for a video camera and assorted chargers and paraphernalia.
- At home I don’t need a remote control for heaters, TV’s, door locks etc.
- My cars are now more connected than ever (see “How Connected Cars Will Transform Industries”) and a key may soon become a thing of the past.
- My GPS is now obsolete as standalone devices, with apps like WAZE which is a crowd sourcing transportation and navigation app. It enables drivers to share information in real-time about traffic congestion, police speed checks, accidents etc., saving everyone time and gas money on their daily commute.
- When I now get my Sunday paper, it is no longer packed with discount and deal coupons for different retailers. All deals are now available on apps such as Coupon Sherpa that can send me coupons for my favorite stores and tell me about deals at retailors and restaurants near my current location based on my buying history and preferences. (See “3 Ways #IOT Is Changing The Retail Experience Forever”).
- Credit Cards are just an extra item in your wallet (if you even need a wallet) with the introduction of Apple Pay
- Tickets for airplane, movies and concerts can be reviewed, bought and stored on your wrist.
- There is even a rumor going round that you can even use them to make phone calls and tell the time !!!
So the smart phone and watch are fast becoming an answer to everything in the “connected” world, but I have yet to find an app to get a stone out of a horses hoof. And one thing is for sure, I don’t want to lose my smart device any time soon, or I won’t be able to do anything!
Follow me @howellsrichard