ASUG Pacific Northwest Chapter held a very content rich chapter meeting on Feb 5th at Lynnwood, WA. I am glad to have presented there and want to take this opportunity to summarize my experience as well as some useful links to the content from that event as well as from SAP RDS.
The key themes of the meeting are cloud, Big data and Mobile track. I could only cover cloud and big data tracks due to the limitations of physics(can’t be in two places at once)
The opening keynote is from a SAP partner called Birst, it is interesting to see their advanced analytical solution is based on HANA cloud platform. The presentation can be found here: https://www.asug.com/discussions/docs/DOC-40335
Next came the presentation from Amazon by Steven Jones, it is simply amazing. The below screenshot shows the deep partnership amazon and SAP has for quite a long time.
I have highlighted RDS solutions and SAP Cloud Application Library (CAL) in the above screenshot as they provide most comprehensive portfolio of SAP solutions that come preconfigured and/or with predefined best practices.
The value proposition for customers and partners is immense and some are listed below for quick reference purposes. Many steps in a typical solution deployment process such as hardware procurement to installation are simply gone. The flexibility offered by SAP CAL to choose the hardware provider and savings come due to the preconfigured/pre-defined SAP Rapid Deployment Solutions are too big to ignore.
For more information value of SAP CAL: http://scn.sap.com/community/cloud-appliance-library/blog/2014/10/01/what-is-the-value-of-the-sap-cloud-appliance-library-sap-cal
Following are the some of the solutions that were already published to SAP Cloud Application Library (CAL) which are based on SAP Rapid Deployment Solutions.
- SAP ERP Foundation Extension powered by SAP HANA – Fully Activated Appliance Landscape Trial
- SAP ERP Foundation Extension powered by SAP HANA – Fully Activated Appliance Landscape BYOL
- SAP CRM rapid-deployment solution (V5.703) fully-activated on SAP HANA Trial
- SAP Mobile Apps and Infrastructure rapid-deployment solution incl. SAP Fiori – DEMO/Evaluation Appliance Landscape
- SAP HANA Customer Engagement Intelligence rapid-deployment solution – semi-activated appliance
- SAP CRM rapid-deployment solution – fully-activated Appliance Landscape
- SAP HANA data mart discovery offer – DEMO/Evaluation Appliance Landscape
- SAP HANA Customer Activity Repository rapid-deployment solution – fully-activated – Appliance Landscape
- SAP Kanban Process rapid-deployment solution
- SAP Kanban Process rapid-deployment solution-fully activated-Appliance Landscape
- SAP IT Portfolio and Project Management rapid-deployment solution – ready-to-activate- Appliance Landscape
- SAP IT Portfolio and Project Management rapid-deployment solution – fully – activated- Appliance Landscape
- SAP Asset Operations and Maintenance rapid-deployment solution – fully activated Appliance
- SAP HANA Customer Activity Repository rapid-deployment solution – semi-activated – Appliance
- SAP Extended Warehouse Management rapid-deployment solution V5.91 – Ready to Activate Appliance
- SAP CRM rapid-deployment solution – ready-to-activate Appliance
- SAP CRM rapid-deployment solution – semi activated Appliance
Don’t worry if your head gets dizzy by going through the above list (nobody expects you to memorize if you bookmark this blog J). All of this can be accessed from SAP store. If you look hard enough in the above list, you fill find many “trial” solutions that are free to use for up to 30 days (I don’t think you can get a better bargain)
The big data track cannot be complete without the mention of the two products whose names coincidentally start with “h” (i.e. Hadoop an HANA). The presentation by Horton works highlights a case study from “truecar.com” for 2PB data. This interesting for me because of the sheer size and also personally I have used truecar on various occasions. The following slide summarizes the reference architecture of Hadoop and SAP HANA. Not surprisingly, I have seen this in action in our SAP HANA Big Data Intelligence rapid-deployment solution
Next came my presentation on “Got social data? Identify opportunities using HANA analytical applications”. This is based on SAP hybris Marketing solutions based on SAP HANA platform. In the world viral online marketing, the traditional approaches are no longer viable. From the noise of big data (structured or unstructured), it is very important for business to understand customers/consumers interest, sentiment and value in order to provide personalized engagement. I have highlighted various use cases with a live demo and some of them are listed in the below screenshot.
Last but not least, there are miscellaneous tracks on data governance. There was a case study on how EP energy leverages SAP Information Steward to automate their budget validation process. As energy sector is going through rough patch, it is no wonder the pressure is on the data quality as means to improve the quality of decision making process. EP Energy was able to reduce data quality issues by almost 99% using a custom SAP information Steward dashboard against their operational database. Most importantly, they got the business buy in and data stewards emerged from the users. This ultimately led to greater efficiency and accuracy on budget à better investment decisions. The presentation can be found here:
If you are starting your data quality or data governance journey, check out the rapid deployment solutions as means to jump start your implementations.
SAP Master Data Governance rapid-deployment solution
SAP Information Steward rapid-deployment solution
SAP Asset Data Quality rapid-deployment solution
There are several other sessions and you can find all the content here
I personally like to thank all the sponsors, ASUG members for arranging such an educational and fun event. Not easy for all volunteer team to pull off of such event.
Now your turn: what else do you want to learn? Comments/feedback?