Blog it Forward – Jorida Çakëri
My name is Jorida and I am a SAP Student Mentor. I was born in Albania and I came to the United States back in 2009 to study at Drexel University.
My country – Albania
These are a few pictures of my Albania, a beautiful place in Southeastern Europe. With its coastline facing the Adriatic and Ionian seas, its highlands backed upon the elevated Balkan landmass , and the entire country lying at a latitude subject to a variety of weather patterns during the winter and summer seasons. Albania has a high number of climatic regions for a so small area because it offers the Mediterranean and Continental climate.
The official language is Albanian also known as “shqip” in the native language. We have 36 letters in our alphabet. Albanian is an Indo-European language spoken by approximately 7.6 million people primarely in Albania, Kosovo, the republic of Macedonia, Montenegro but also in areas of Southeastern Europe. Some of the letters might seem uncommon and unpopular such as: ë, Ç, dh, nj, xh, zh etc.
Fun facts about Albania
- The Albanian flag has a double headed eagle which is also our national symbol. This is why Albanians refer to our country as the “Land of the Eagles”
- Albania is slightly smaller than the size of Maryland
- We have our own currency (Albanian Lek)
- Mother Theresa was Albanian and her real name was Anjeza Gonxhe Bojaxhi
- Albania along with Vatican City and Armenia are the only countries in Europe to not have a McDonalds branch.
- Our cuisine offers a variety of different and very exquisite dishes to name a few: tave dheu, tave kosi (yogurt with lamb), byrek, sheqerpare me arra.
What is the best food from the country you live in?
I have been in the US for five years now and I can say that I have tried a lot of different traditional dishes but the one that I really enjoyed is Barbecue Ribs. I also tried them in North Carolina and they were the best ribs I have ever tasted.
What is your favorite sport?
My favorite sport is soccer. Growing up in Europe I was familiarized with the game and enjoyed watching live matches all the time. I am also a fan of Germany so I was very happy when they won the 2014 FIFA world cup.
How did you get started on SCN?
In September 2012 I joined the SAP community as an intern for University Alliances and I must say that I have been fortunate enough to work with great people and attend some of the most important conferences such as SAPPHIRE, TechEd && d-code and SAP Academic Conference.
- Where do you most want to travel, but have never been?
- If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
- According to you, which is the most beautiful language and why?
I am looking forward to learn more about you.
Thank you all for reading my blog!