SAP has improved upon SAP ASE Small Business Edition (ASE SBE) with the release of SAP ASE Edge Edition providing small and medium sized businesses with the same enterprise-level features that are found in SAP ASE Enterprise Edition. SAP ASE Edge Edition can run on physical or virtual machines with 4 cores or less. Machines are not limited to 2 chips as they were for SAP ASE SBE. This gives small businesses the ability to leverage the benefits of virtualization on today’s more powerful, multi-core platforms.
SAP ASE Edge Edition replaces SAP ASE SBE and includes many options that were not available to SAP ASE SBE customers. Every license includes:
- Security and Directory Services which provides SSL, LDAP authentication, row-level security, and more to provide the highest levels of security and protection from un-authorized access
- Encryption of sensitive information such as credit card numbers or SSNs that can only be decrypted by authorized users
- Intelligent Partitioning of data based on its content, which improves performance, shortens maintenance times, and simplifies operations for aging data
- Compression which can lower storage costs and improve I/o performance
- Warm standby replication of ASE Edge data to protect businesses from data loss and accessibility in the event of a system failure
SAP ASE Edge Edition provides small and medium sized businesses with enterprise-grade features for enhanced performance, advanced security, and data availability in the event of hardware failure. It can be purchased through SAP partners at a low price point that will fit the budget of small businesses.
***UPDATE: How to locate an SAP Partner***