It is nice that SAP TechEd doesn’t end after you leave the event (in my case, October 2014). January – March you can sign up to attend SAP TechEd Virtual Hands-On Workshops. Last year I did a similar workshop using Design Studio with SAP HANA Live – see Sharing the Knowledge – SAP TechEd HANA Live Using Design Studio
This year the first course I took was EA 263 Create ERP Operational Reporting with SAP HANA Live and SAP Analytics. This session had no recorded presentation to follow like some sessions
First the exercises have you create attribute views and calculation views. I recommend a large screen for doing modeling in HANA Studio; I was doing the exercise on a laptop and it was difficult to know if my calculation view activated.
The other issue was the virtual keyboard on the remote desktop; it didn’t recognize the shift key use – meaning I could not use the semicolon, for example. A suggestion if this your first Virtual TechEd session is to be sure to download the slides and exercises before the clock starts.
First, I had trouble with logon but I received a fast response from SAP TechEd support:
I had no issues or problems with the Lumira Server exercise.
The Design Studio exercise was based on Design Studio 1.3 with the HANA deployment option
First you add a data source which is a calculation view created earlier in the exercise. The initial application starts with background processing.
Part of the exercise is updating the script to show KPI’s for scheduled line amounts from purchase orders.
This is as far as I got with the exercise.
Most of the time is spent on creating the calculation views, the joins and the SQL script. The Lumira Server exercise was easily finished and I could do the “annex” exercise.
Compared to last year’s exercise, which was using HANA Live through the BI Launchpad, how will the HANA Live Design Studio be mobile?
I am looking forward to learning more at BI 2015 and these upcoming ASUG webcasts:
- Feb. 17: Best Practices and Additional Visualization Options for SAP Design Studio
- March 18: Building Real-Time Visualizations with Design Studio and SAP Event Stream Processor
- May 13: World Premiere of Design Studio 1.5
- June 2: Best Practices for Data Visualization and Dashboard Design with SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio
- June 10: Moving from BEx Tools to Analysis and Design Studio: Question & Answer Session
- July 14: Run the SAP Business Suite on HANA Enabling Real Time Reporting Using HANA Live