Tips for Connecting with the Cluster Administrative Tool for SAP HANA Smart Data Streaming
When you install Smart Data Streaming as part of your HANA system, the HANA SYSTEM user is assigned all of the required permissions to administer the Streaming servers including deploying and running projects. While using the SYSTEM user is fine for getting started and possibly even for your early streaming project development, as a best practice you will want to use a different user for production systems. Permissions specific administering the smart data streaming servers are managed through the Cluster Administrative Tool (“streamingclusteradmin”).
Detailed documentation on the functionality of the Cluster Administrative Tool is covered in the Cluster Administrative Tool section of the SAP HANA Smart Data Streaming: Configuration and Administration Guide.
The purpose of this blog post is to provide a few tips that may help you out if this is the first time you are using the Cluster Administrative Tool.
- You need to run the streamingclusteradmin tool as the <sid>adm Linux user. For example if your HANA System ID (“SID”) is “HA0” then you would need to log on to the Streaming node of your HANA system as the “ha0adm” user.
- Assuming that you use the default path of “/hana/…” for the shared storage location of your HANA system, then the streamingclusteradmin utility is located in the /hana/shared/<SID>/streaming/STREAMING-1_0/bin directory. If your <SID> is “HA0”, then the path would be: “/hana/shared/HA0/streaming/STREAMING-1_0/bin“
- You should use the HANA SYSTEM user to connect to the streamingclusteradmin tool. For example:
./streamingclusteradmin –uri=esps:// <fully.qualified.domain.name>:3XX26 –username=SYSTEM –password=<SYSTEM user password>
- When specifying the address for the URI parameter:
- You need to provide the machine name of the Streaming node, not the HANA master node. For example if the HANA master node is installed on machine “hanaserver.mydomain.com” and the Streaming server is running on the node “streamingnode.mydomain.com”, then the URI parameter would be: “–uri=esps://streamingnode.mydomain.com:3XX26“
- The port # will have the format 3XX26 where XX = the Instance # of your HANA system. If your HANA system is Instance # 00, then the port # will be 30026. If the HANA Instance # is 11, then the port # will be 31126.