One of the cool features of SAP SQL Anywhere, on-demand edition is that you can run multiple sever versions all within the same cloud. For example, it is possible to run both SQL Anywhere 12 and SQL Anywhere 16 servers at the same time, even on the same machine (Note that this is different from running multiple database versions at the same time, but you can do that too).
When you create a SQL Anywhere, on-demand edition cloud it will only have one server version available. To use a different server version, you will have to install the new server software into your cloud. This quick tutorial shows the steps required to add SQL Anywhere 12 support to an existing SP5 cloud.
- Create a SQL Anywhere, on-demand edition SP5 cloud. If you don’t have a cloud, you can create one using the developer edition. The default server included in SP5 is SQL Anywhere 22.214.171.1244. Open the cloud console and click on the Cloud Software link. You will see there is only one server version currently installed.
- We will need to download the new server version from the SAP website. Browse the list of available server versions, and download the install package for the server version that you want to add to your cloud. For this demo, I am downloading the SQL Anywhere 126.96.36.19986 for Windows package.
- The install package must be added to the cloud before it can be installed. Click Events -> Run new task.
- Select AddCloudSoftwareUpateFromFile.
- Enter the full path to the install package you downloaded in Step 2. Click Next. This will add the install package to the cloud.
- Click on the Cloud Software tab and confirm that new server version has been added to the cloud.
- Although the new servers version has been added to the cloud, it has not yet been installed. The install package only has to be added to the cloud once, but it also must be installed on every host on which you want to run that server version. This allows you to limit certain server versions to only specific hosts. Fortunately, the cloud console makes it easy to install the software on any host. Select the new cloud version and click Install.
- Enter the list of hosts on which you want the new server version installed.
- The cloud console will coordinate the installation of the new server version on all of the target hosts. Once the install is complete, you will see that the new server version appears in the list of Installed Cloud Software.
- When creating a new server, you will now be able to select the new server version.