In SAP NetWeaver Portal NY versions (7.1 and above), an additional cache feature has been added, the Object-Based Navigation (OBN) cache.
Why do we need it?
When a user clicks an OBN link, the OBN service searches in every role the user is assigned to for OBN iView targets.
The search is done for each click on an OBN link. This can take a while and there is no reuse of the search results.
- Each role is searched only once
- Search results are stored and are reusable
- The response time of the navigation is faster
The cache needs to be manually cleared after:
- Deploying content
- Modifying content (creating, changing, deleting)
Not clearing the cache after the content has been modified may lead to OBN issues such as:
- OBN that is not resolved for all or some of the users
- OBN editors that don’t show the operations that are tagged under the target iViews
For these reasons, OBN caching may not be desirable in a development or testing environment, because the content there is modified frequently. In general, it is not recommended to use the OBN cache in development or testing environments.
How to disable the OBN Cache
Since the OBN Cache is enabled by default, if you want to disable it, follow the steps below:
NW 7.1 – 7.2:
- In the portal, navigate to System Administration -> Navigation -> OBN Cache.
- Choose “Clear All” to clear the entire cache.
- Choose “Disable Cache” to disable the OBN cache.
NW 7.3 and above
- In the portal, navigate to System Administration -> System Configuration -> Cache Management -> OBN Cache.
- Choose “Clear All” and “Clear Cluster Cache” to clear the entire cache.
- Choose “Disable Cluster Cache” to disable the OBN cache.
You want to influence the product roadmap of SAP Enterprise Portal? You plan to implement your Portal in the cloud? Seize the opportunity and make a difference by providing your feedback: https://blogs.sap.com/2016/10/11/2016-elections-vote-now/.
Once I faced a problem exactly like this and now I got to know why.