Emerging of GDSN
- The industrial sector is currently in the era where the retailers, manufacturers and distributors have entered a promising, yet challenging, period in their relationships. As they recognize the need of working closely to improve operational efficiency, more efficient information sharing and management has become a critical issue.
- Traditionally, they exchanged product information using manual, paper-based processes which led to inefficiencies, errors and duplicate labor efforts among trading partners.
- This gave rise to the need for a standards-based data synchronized model – Global Data Synchronization Network(GDSN).
What is GDSN?
- The Global Data Synchronization Network (GDSN) is an internet-based, interconnected network of inter-operable data pools and a global registry known as the GS1 Global Registry, that enables companies around the globe to exchange standardized and synchronized supply chain data with their trading partners using a standardized Global Product Classification.
- GDSN assures that data exchanged between trading partners is accurate and compliant with universally supported standards.
- Organizations are leveraging the GDSN to streamline how product, service, location, organization, price and promotion data is created and exchanged within their own enterprise.
GDSN consists of the following :
- Supplier/retailer trading partner
- Data pools that hold and process trading partner data, such as Agentrics (formerly Worldwide Retail Exchange) and 1SYNC (formerly Transora and UCCnet).
- GS1 Global Registry, a directory that helps locate data sources and keep relationships between trading partners in sync. It matches subscriptions to registrations to facilitate the synchronization process.
- A set of standards established by EAN International and the Uniform Code Council, Inc. (EAN•UCC) through the Global Standards Management Process (GSMP).
- Enterprise software for product information management.
The Global Location Number (GLN) and the Global Trade Item Number (GTIN) are the global identification numbers in the GDSN; the GLN is the identifier for legal entities, trading partners and locations while the GTIN is the identifiers for trade items.
- The GDSN is a network of data pools that facilitates the synchronization of item information between retailer and suppliers through a single global registry.
- The value of the GDSN is that a retailer and supplier can have a single point of entry into the network through their selected data pool.
- Once connected, they can subscribe to or publish all of their item information in a single and consistent process for all trading partners that are connected to the GDSN.
In the next blog will explain about GDS Overview and Technical Guide for PI
Please share your thoughts and comments.
Follow me on Google+