On December 4th, volunteers from the LABS IT GLDS team in Palo Alto and Dublin, CA participated in the San Francisco – Marin Harvest Food Bank team event. Coinciding with SAP’s community service initiative, the team picked the theme to end hunger. The LABS IT GLDS team along with other Bay Area companies came together to do our part for the community.
Our task for the afternoon was to package oats into 1lb packages, 16 packages per case. The team worked like a machine, music in the background, a bit of competition amongst the colleagues created a joyful and productive atmosphere.
The food bank distributes more than one million pounds of nutritious food each week to low-income people in need in every zip code in the bay area.
This is the impact the Food Bank will have in this year alone:
- 225,000 people will be nourished through our programs
- 47 million pounds of food will be delivered throughout San Francisco and Marin, more than half of it fresh produce direct from the farm
- 107,000 meals worth of food will be distributed each and every day
- 30,000 families will receive wholesome foods at our pantries each week
- 10,000 children will be served fresh, healthy snacks in the classroom each school day
- 450 community partners will rely on us to supply their meal and food programs
- 240 farmer’s market-style pantries will provide foods people can use to prepare healthy meals in their own homes
Throughout the year, volunteers contribute more than 75 fulltime employees, which save the food bank $6.6 million in equivalent personnel costs. At the end of our event, the team walked away with a feeling of satisfaction knowing we did a part for the community.