BOM Explosion on HANA in SAP ERP EhP 7
- Bill of Material is a formally structured list of the components that make up a product or assembly. The list contains the object number of each component, together with the quantity and unit of measure.
- BOMs are used in their different forms in various situations where a finished product is assembled from several component parts or materials. Depending on the industry sector, they can also be called recipes or lists of ingredients and so on.
- Time validity and changes to a document structure can be controlled by using Engineering Change Number.
- Explosion of BOM is used in MRP, Material provisions for production, Product costing, Plant maintenance
Big data: Explosion of Bill of Material becomes very complex considering big amount of data as BOM being multilevel and also having complexity of Parameter Effectivity, Change numbers etc.
- BOM on HANA enables customers to directly have faster explosion on HANA, which can be consumed by various applications.
- Providing various modular part of BOM explosion like parameter effectivity etc. which could be plugged in or out with minimal efforts
- Supporting Order BOM, WBS BOM in one BOM explosion transaction.
Code Push Down to HANA is taken as approach for BOM Explosion on HANA. This approach is selected as there is no single expensive statement which can be pushed to DB layer and rest of the code be at application layer. In case of BOM explosion entire code involves lot of uncertainty in terms of number of levels, BOM determination, date validity etc.
Business Benefits & robustness of the Solution
- There are new transaction provided for HANA based BOM explosion CS11h, CS12h, CS13h so that there is no disruption to existing transactions.
- Customers can use new transactions with new function module for consuming HANA based BOM explosion.
- There are two flavors of BOM explosion i.e. BOM explosion for MRP and BOM explosion for single BOMs
- Interface can take multiple material at a time for BOM explosion.
- BOM Explosion with HANA show significant improvement for big DATA and benefit becomes more and more if DATA volume and BOM Explosion Complexity increases.
Greetings, in the food industry we can only produce a work in progress material when seasonal products are available. The same BOM can be used year after year so using production versions are a better option than BOM validities, and we also send production versions to APO.
Transactions like CS11 can select the BOM even if the production version is not valid. Can the new transactions handle this scenario?
Thanks for comment. This is also a direction on which we are looking so that we can avoid complex logic for BOM determination.
We are going to deliver a POC to one customer. What are the detailed steps to activate these new transactions? Is there an implementaiton guide?
Can you please schedule a short call with me so that I can help you in this.
I am going to deliver a POC for BOM in SAP HANA with multi-level. Any help would be appreciated greatly. Let me know if I can setup a call.
We want to do BOM explosion inside HANA as the ECC system is too slow as our BOMs can get really complex(Aerospace)
Could you give some pointers how to do this?
is there a way to reuse these procedure from HANA studio? We need to offer a view on HANA for Reporting with multi level BOM.
I see 35 procedures under erp.sappl.lo.md.bom. Is there any documentation on how they could be reused?
Checking HANA Live Explorer I only find single level explosions.
thanks for your great post!
Could you please do me a favor and tell me if there is any HANA Live Calculation View using/ showing the Explosion level?
Thanks a lot!
Hi Jianping, Did you get a chance to find the Explosion level?. I cant find any field to identify the level in SAP Live views(Query View: BOMEXPLOSIONQUERY ).