SAP NetWeaver Portal Installation and Configuration
In SAP NetWeaver, like in any system, there are steps to follow for installation and configuration. To make it easier, SAP NetWeaver portal, has divided these steps into 3 main sections: Preparation prior installation, installation and post-installation.
These sections mentioned above apply to any version that is about to be installed. The specific folders, directories, command, ports, etc. may vary according to the version that needs to be installed and configured. This approach makes total sense and guaranties not only a successful and smooth process but also the safety of the information.
If you are responsible to perform the installation/configuration process of SAP NetWeaver Portal, continue reading because you may find the following information helpful .
For preparation prior installation:
- Check the windows firewall. Usually the firewall is turned ON by default and only allows specific inbound IP connections, on the contrary for the outbound connections that have no limits or restricted to specific rules. Disable the firewall on all windows host before installation.
- Check basic windows configuration, such as: the windows file system using NTFS, the domain structure when performing domain installation, and ensure the windows server performance is set to high performance.
- Verify that you have User Authorization for running SAPinst. The system administrator can grant the account all the necessary authorizations before begin. The authorization needed varies depending on if the installation is local or domain.
- Prepare the Transport Host. First, define if you will use the default transport host directory or will create your own. Second, share the directory and set permission to FULL CONTROL for everyone to share the transport directory.
- Prepare the installation media. There are 2 versions, a physical or a digital that can be download form the SAP services market place. Once you decide which version adjust better to your needs make sure to have a directory for the files.
For the Installation:
- Make sure to have free space of 300MB for the installation and addition memory of 60 – 200 MBfor executable files.
- SAPinst tool includes GUI for client and for server and both use JAVA. The system automatically designate ports of communication between SApinst, GUI Server, SAPinst GUI and HTTP servers, but if the default port are already in use the system will automatically look for other available ports, or you can set up specific ports.
After the installation:
- Update database statistics.
- Log on the application server. Make sure you can log on into the system after installation
- Log on the SAP NetWeaver portal using admin ID and password.
- Install the SAP license. Remember that the license key is bonded to the hardware key of the host where the message server is running.
- Secure sockets layer protocol for database server communications (SSL) to guarantee encrypted data transfer between the database and its clients.
- Ensure user security. A master password is assigned to all users during installation process unless you decide something different.