How to setup central monitoring of BI (systems in landscape & Chains, jobs)via Solution Manager 7.1?
What is BI Monitoring In technical Monitoring
1. Overview Monitor
2. Detail Monitors
Supported system types in BI Monitoring
- BW JAVA
- SAP HANA Database
- SAP SLT
- BWA(TREX system)
- ABAP Source system
- BOE WAS (TOMCAT, WebSPhere, SAP_J2EE)
- SBOP (SAP Business objects platform jobs in CMC)
- SAP DATA SERVICES (Jobs)
- BW ABAP server (Process chains, BeX Queries, Templates)
As you can see, these screens have a designated flow for navigation. A single overview screen to show the health of all participating systems in the landscape and subsequently drill down capability by system-type and then to the monitored objects per system and then to its instance details!
- Mass maintenance of Thresholds
- Take from managed system to assist in configuring thresholds
- Excel Upload & Download
- Provides the managed object details in the configuration to assist in providing thresholds value for metrics like (Duration, records processed etc.)
- Grey metrics (collector issue, MAI extractor issue, Engine design
- If an open alert of a chain failure is confirmed in the alert inbox, the next collection will again report this error and an alert is opened up again! (owing to a fixed look back time of 36 hours for the ST-A/PI collector)
Workaround for reducing the number of duplicate emails. (this does NOT eliminate the duplicate alerts. This would only reduce the duplicate emails)
1. Reduce the collection interval to a small and relevant window (to reduce the occurrence of grey metric from collector)
- However, in the advanced tab in scheduling of data collection, Managed system time zone is not handled in ST< SP10 (UTC is considered)
- If the chain is executed over the midnight, it is not possible to configure this restriction in the design time 🙁
2. Increase the collection frequency. Instead of (once every) 5 mins, make it once every hour. Esp for longer running chains. This reduces the probability of a grey alert! This has a flip side, “delay in alerting” bad news that of failure.
3. Starting SP10, 2118848 can be implemented and the report program AC_BIMON_MASS_AUTOCONFIG to be executed with ‘set retention time’ to cicumvent this problem.
3. No analytics capabilities of the collected metrics. vis-a-vis Interactive reporting. No BW reporting!
What is it to monitor BW process chains Via BPMon – BW process chain monitoring?
In order to support the end to end monitoring of Business processes, that could span across several systems and can internally comprise of different entities like interfaces, jobs, process chains, in Solution Manager, we have the possibility to orchestrate a Business Process and setup monitoring for the participating entities. In such a context, Process chains can be setup for monitoring.
=> A clear Business process driven approach for monitoring
What is Unified Job Monitoring?
Over the last one year, we have been pondering on means to fix these known issues and develop an application that serves the customer requirements by closing the existing gaps. Starting SP10, we unveiled the new work center -> Unified Job Monitoring.
- There is a consistent approach to monitor all type of jobs (BW process chains, ABAP jobs, SBOP jobs, SAP Data Services jobs). Also monitoring jobs scheduled from EXTERNAL scheduler that use the SMSE interface. for instance, SAP CPS (REDWOOD) scheduled jobs.
- Reporting of background jobs without requiring direct access to production systems using the collected metrics (BW analytics)
- Powerful monitoring capabilities with factory calendar awareness, job log content, and Business process context so on
BP monitoring based process chain monitoring.
|Feature||BI Monitoring||Unified Job Monitoring|
|ABAP Jobs and steps||NA||X|
|BW Process chains and steps||X||X|
|SAP Business Objects Jobs (SBOP)||X||X|
|SAP Data services jobs||X||X|
|External Scheduler (SAP CPS REDWOOD)||NA||X|
|BW Bex Reports & Templates||X||NA|
|Integration to MAI System Monitoring and contextual navigation to System Monitoring||X||Planned|
|Contextual Navigation to Managed system analysis tools from Monitoring UI||X||Planned|
|Overview monitor For viewing the overall scenario health of all landscape entities & Jobs||X||Planned|
(MAI) Work mode awareness
|Mass handling of monitored objects & thresholds||X||Planned|
|Integration to Job Documentation||NA||X|
|Guided Procedure for Alert Resolution||X||X|
- How is job monitoring done today?
- Which job scheduling tools are used in the landscape (embedded schedulers from managed systems, CPS, UC4,CA WLA, AUTOSYS Solution Manager JSM)?
- What are the relevant/important job types?
- Is SAP Solution Manager-based Job/BI monitoring used?What is the feedback? Which functionality is missing?
Regards, Raghav, S