Design Studio 1.4 provides the ability to use Context Menu/BW RRI functionality to jump from a Design Studio application to a BEx query, by default the target BEx query is executed in the BEx Web application runtime as explained in the SAP tutorial here. This blog looks at how you can use a Design Studio application to run the target BEx Query.
This functionality can be used for jumping from a Design Studio application to another one passing all the filter parameters from the first application. The advantage with this approach is you don’t have to handcode the filter parameters applied in the source query, all the filter parameters and the jump context (selected row) will be passed to the target query if they are available in the target.
Video below for config and application demo.
Detailed steps below:
- Configure the jump target in BW tcode RSBBS to jump from Query A to Query B. (Detailed steps for configuring jump targets are explained in the SAP tutorial mentioned above)
- Create a new a new Analysis Application from Design Studio using the “Ad-Hoc Analysis Application Template” and save it to the BI Platform.
Copy the CUID of the newly created Design Studio application from the properties panel.
If you are creating a blank application make sure you configure the Global Script Variables XQUERY and XSYSTEM as URL parameters. The name of the Script variable should be exactly the same as the RRI function will be sending the query and system parameters in this format in the URL. In addition to this you will also need to add the script in your custom template to assign the query and system name to the datasource and load the datasource, sample code can be found in the SAP delivered adhoc template.
3) Logon to BI Platform CMC, navigate to Servers and look for all the Adaptive Processing Servers which host the Analysis Application Service used by Design Studio. Right Click on properties and navigate to the section “Analysis Application Service”, enter the CUID of the DS application. If you have multiple “Analysis Application Service” servers this change will have to be done to all of them.
4) Create a new Design Studio application and assign BW BEx Query A from step 1 to a new Data Source. Add a Crosstab, assign data source to crosstab and execute the application on BI Platform.
5) Execute the application on BI Platform, filter the application on any Dimensions, right click on the Crosstab and execute the RRI link under Jump to.
6) In the target application check to see whether you have all the filter criteria from the source BW query applied. In the source query filter was applied to Country and the the line Company Code =3333 and Cal Year = 2011 was selected for Context Menu. All those filters are applied to the target query.
Please note the following:
- This functionality does not work in “Local Mode”.
- The Design Studio template which is used to execute the BEx query target RRI is global to the BI Platform.
- This functionality works only from Crosstab, there is no support for BIAL to have the ability to use a custom link or image.