Many of you know from various LSMW blogs and documents and from my BIF that Master Data Management and Data Migration is my main activity field for about 10 years now, and I expect it to continue for some years.
Looking at the number of views on my LSMW blogs and documents makes me feel like a teacher. And if you still remember your school days then you know what teachers are notorious for: A quiz to check what you remembered
Before you ask.
Yes, it is allowed to search SCN if you do not know the answer from your mind.
Some questions can have more than one correct answer.
No, there is no price to win, no T-shirt, no badge. It is just for fun, and maybe to learn or refresh the one or other thing on LSMW
1) SCN celebrated its 10 years anniversary in 2013. How many LSMW questions got posted in SDN/SCN since its foundation?
¨ < 5000
¨ 5001 – 10000
¨ 10001 – 20000
¨ > 20000
2) What is the current version of LSMW (in ERP 6)?
¨ LSMW 1.0
¨ LSMW 1.6
¨ LSMW 1.8.0
¨ LSMW 4.0.0
3) Which statement is true?
¨ A LSMW project can have any number of subprojects
¨ LSMW can only be exported and imported but cannot be included into a transport request.
¨ SAP recommends to use recordings if no standard import objects are available.
¨ LSMW can be used to extract data from a legacy system
4) Which import methods are supported in LSMW?
¨ only recording
¨ Standard Batch Input/Direct Input
5) How many main steps does the BAPI import method have
6) Which statement about the maximum file name length is true?
¨ File name “Imported data” Max 45 characters
¨ File name “Converted data” Max 45 characters
¨ File name length is not limited
¨ File name “Exported data” Max 45 characters
7) Which authorization is needed to work with a LSMW project
8) Is the authorization B_LSMW_ALL sufficient to post the transaction, e.g. to create a vendor master?
¨ Yes, B_LSMW_ALL is all I need to create a vendor
¨ No, the LSMW authorization is limited to the usage of LSMW but does not overrule the authorization needed to post a vendor master
9) You have to load 500000 spare parts. Business does not want new material numbers to avoid relabeling in the warehouse. Customizing is set to internal numbers only. Assumed that the numbers do not conflict with existing material number ranges. Is it possible to load the material masters without changing the customizing?
¨ Yes, it is possible with standard batch input/direct input import method
¨ Yes, it is possible with recording method
¨ Yes, it is possible with Idoc method
¨ No, it is not possible without changing the customizing
10) All recordings done in a project are visible if you click the Recordings Overview button in Step 1 Maintain Object Attributes. But can you use more than 1 recording per LSMW object?
¨ No, per 1 object you can only use 1 recording
¨ Yes, it is possible to run multiple recordings within 1 object
11) Which task do you need to do before you can create IDocs and when at the latest possible time?
¨ Post a discussion in SCN an hour before Go-Live
¨ Activate Idoc Inbound processing latest before you execute the “Convert data” step
¨ Activate Idoc Outbound processing right before “Start IDoc Generation”
¨ Activate Idoc Inbound processing right before “Start IDoc Generation”
12) What is a disadvantage of the recording import method?
¨ No simulation mode
¨ The target structure must be flat
¨ The target structure must not contain item structures with a variable number of items
¨ There is no disadvantage
13) Step 4 Maintain Structure Relations. Which of the following statements is true?
¨ A flat source structure can be assigned to multiple target structures
¨ A complex source structure (header level – item level – sub item level) can be assigned to a flat target structure
¨ A source Idoc structure can be assigned to a target Idoc structure of the same message type
¨ A flat source structure can only be assigned to a flat target structure
14) Your client prepares the data in Excel, you save this as text file to read it with LSMW. You know that your Excel file has 1000 records, nevertheless LSMW read log says that it read 1002 records. What can be the root cause?
¨ Unknown bug in LSMW
¨ Hidden lines in Excel
¨ Deleted Excel cells
¨ Headline counts twice
15) You are using Idoc import method and 1 Idoc failed posting. You edit the IDOC and correct the wrong value. Then you execute “try posting again” in step Start IDoc Follow-Up but you receive the message “No data selected”. What can be the reason for this message.
¨ An Idoc cannot be edited
¨ you missed to execute the step Start IDoc Generation
¨ The Idoc is no longer in status 51 and you need to switch the radio button to “Resubmit the edited IDoc:”
¨ You need to switch the radio button to “Reset status 62 Idoc passed to Application”
16) You did a recording for MM01 Create Material Master. When you run the batch input you receive the error “Formatting error in the field xxxxx” . What can be causing this error?
¨ A field in Excel was maintained in bold letters
¨ Material master recording needs to be done with MMZ1 instead of MM01
¨ A mandatory field was not included in your recording
¨ LSMW object was created by a different user
17) You did a recording for MM01 Create Material Master. When you run the batch input you receive the error “Field MARA-EKWSL does not exist in screen SAPLMGMM 4000” . Why do you get this error?
¨ The screen in the batch input is not the same screen as currently processed
¨ EKWSL field is in table MARC
¨ You do not have authorization to create material masters
¨ The field is set to “display only” in material master field selection
18) How can you secure that you do not process an incorrect file in LSMW (e.g. customers instead of vendors)?
¨ Display read data and display each segment in detail to ensure that all fields are filled with the right content
¨ Run batch input session in foreground
¨ Have field names in source file identical to your source definition and remove the flag for “Field order matches Source structure definition”
¨ Let some from customer service run the batch input session for customers
19) In field mapping of a standard batch input/direct input you are missing some target fields. How can you solve this issue?
¨ Switch the import method to recording
¨ Adding the fields in the step 3 Maintain Source Fields
¨ Activate technical fields in Display variant in step 5 Field mapping
¨ Execute Auto-Field Mapping
20) You loaded purchase order long text to the material master in your logon language using the direct input method. However, you cannot see the long text in MM03. What can be the root cause to this issue?
¨ Characters are loaded in the same color as the background color
¨ Missing leading zeros for the material number
¨ Text longer than allowed
¨ Text ID wrong
I hope you had your fun with the questions, and got to know if you are ready for the real world of LSMW, beyond the school exercises.
The answers to the questions are not far away 😉 . In any case you can find them in help.sap.com and blogs, documents and discussions in SCN.
You can leave me your comments, your score, which question was easy or extra difficult, but please do not post answers in the comment section
1) 22455 discussions per December 2nd 2014, use the SCN search and only enter LSMW and execute, you can see the number for discussions on the left
2) Goto LSMW, select from menu Extras > Display LSMW version
3) LSMW can have any number of subprojects assigned to it, and SAP recommends to use recordings only for own developments , see OSS note 554635
4) LSMW supports Standard Batch Input/Direct Input, Idoc, BAPI and recording. Only recording is a wrong answer.
5) 16 main steps – Click the user menu button in LSMW and then the main steps button
6) file name “converted data” has a maximum of 45 characters
7) B_LSMW_PRO came with LSMW 1.8 version, without this authorization object you cannot open any Project
8) No, you need to have the authorization for vendor master creation too, otherwise your posting run will result in errors
9) Yes, it is possible with Idoc method. It is standard design that IDOCs ignore the settings for number ranges
10) Yes, it is possible to run multiple recordings within 1 object, there is a button for “more recordings” in step 1
11) Activate Idoc Inbound processing latest before you execute the “Convert data” step, because you need already Idoc specific header data in the converted data before you start creating the IDocs
12) The target structure must be flat, The target structure must not contain item structures with a variable number of items
13) A flat source structure can be assigned to multiple target structures. A source Idoc structure can be assigned to a target Idoc structure of the same message type
14) Hidden lines in Excel. Deleted Excel cells. If only cells are emptied instead of lines deleted, then this space is still reserved in Excel and when you save it as text, then you have empty lines at the end of the text file
15) The Idoc is no longer in status 51 and you need to switch the radio button to “Resubmit the edited IDoc:”
16) A mandatory field was not included in your recording, this can happen if you record Spare parts and use this recording to load other material types too.
17) The screen in the batch input is not the same screen as currently processed, details see in my blog Explained issues with LSMW recording for material master
18) Display read data and display each segment in detail to ensure that all fields are filled with the right content. Have field names in source file identical to your source definition and remove the flag for “Field order matches Source structure definition”
19) Activate technical fields in Display variant in step 5 Field mapping
20) Missing leading zeros for the material number. Text ID wrong. The direct input does not validate your entries, you have to do this yourself, see my blog LSMW Long text load by Direct Input method