By default after an installation of a system, SAP GUI will begin with the client 001.
For change this configuration, we will modify the next parameter: Login/system_client
This parameter is not dynamically switchable, so, if you change his value, you need restart the system to take effect the changes. For check if a parameter is or not dynamically switchable, you can go to transaction RZ11, put the name of the parameter and see if the option “Dynamically Switchable” is selected:
¿Instance profile or default profile?
It’s simply, if you have a single instance system, select Instance Profile. If you have system with several application servers, select Default Profile. The instance profile ever overrides values in default profile, so if you set some values in instance profile, it will override values you set in default profile. So you can set the values into all instance profile or remove them from instance profiles and only set it in default profile.
SAP recommend set the values valid for all application servers in default profile,for example, name of the database host, or the host on which the message server is running. The instance profile is used for set additional configuration that complement the setting in the default profile, for example, set parameter according main memory, shared memory, roll memory and so on.
Now, for modify the value of this parameter, you must be use the transaction RZ10:
- Select the instance profile or default profile. (To clarify, see note above)
- Select the edition mode: “Extended maintenance”
- Press the button: “Change”
You will see a list with the parameters in the instance profile. For add a new parameter, press in the button “Create” located in superior menu:
Superior Menu of Transaction RZ10
Follow the next steps:
- Put the parameter name: login/system_client
- Put the client number you will use default when the SAPGUI logon screen start.
- Press the button “Copy”
Come back and save the changes:
Transacction RZ10 – Save Changes
When you come back to the initial screen of RZ10 transacction, you can see the instance profile with the status “Not Saved“:
Initial Screen – Transacction RZ10
For save and activate the changes, follow the next steps:
1. In the superior menu, select the “Save” option:
2. Select “Yes” for activate the new instance profile:
3. You can see a message with confirmation for the changes:
4. The next message tells you about restart the system for the changes take effect:
5. Again in the initial screen of RZ10 transaction, you can see the new version of instance profile:
Finally, when you start the logon screen of SAPGUI, you can see the new client number set in the login/system_client parameter, in this case, the client number is 100:
SAPGUI Logon screen
It’s a simple thing, but is so helpful when you do it your first installation
Best regards from Chile