Get insights and tips at the Tech Talks during SAP TechEd && d-code Berlin 2014 [Watch videos]
Tech Talks is a new program at SAP TechEd && d-code 2014 that aims at providing you with information about current trends in the industry. The sessions are led by industry experts and cover topics such as open source, Internet of Things, DevOps, and more. Here is a quick overview of the sessions scheduled in Berlin:
- Operating System Security Hardening for SAP HANA with Friedrich Krey and Dr. Ulrich Schairer from Suse, Nov. 12, 11:00 – 11:45 AM. An overview of the content of a paper publishes by SAP and SUSE in regards to Hardening (Securing) an SAP HANA box running SLES for SAP as the Operating system. What you will learn is all the specific steps on how to secure their HANA box. Watch video.
- Accelerate Mobile App Development in the PaaS Cloud Using Open Source Data Virtualization with Sherry Yu from Red Hat, Nov. 12, 12:00 – 12:45 PM. Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) provides tremendous agility and flexibility for application developers. SAP’s partnership with Open Source partners like Red Hat, is making it easier for developers to create applications in the cloud and gain access to key SAP enterprise database technologies. This session discusses how open source based PaaS solutions reduce the time and complexity to build and deploy applications leveraging key SAP enterprise database technologies, including a demo of a sample application. Watch video.
- SAP Customer Engagement Intelligence and Facebook – 1:1 Marketing at Scale with Marc-Oliver Klein from SAP and Ravi Adusumilli from Facebook, Nov. 12, 1:00 – 1:45 PM. As customers across industries demand richer interactions, companies are challenged to scale personalized 1:1 engagement. SAP, a leader in delivering customer engagement and commerce solutions, is partnering with Facebook to address this challenge. By joining the customer insights and sophisticated targeting capabilities of SAP Customer Engagement Intelligence with Facebook’s unprecedented social media reach, companies will be able to drive personalized, high value interactions in a channel that their customers prefer. This Tech Talk will deliver an overview of the roadmap for SAP Customer Engagement Intelligence, discuss this exciting Facebook integration, and talk about the opportunity for customer co-innovation. Watch video.
- Introducing Cloud Foundry: The Cloud Independent, Open Source PaaS with Kaushik Bhattacharya, Nov. 12 from 2:00 – 2:45 PM. Cloud Foundry is the next generation middleware that provides a multitude of services typically delivered by point software products – right from provisioning middleware components to taking care of elastic scalability, tapping data services and beyond. Watch video.
- Open Source, Apache Software Foundation, and Hortonworks with Cheryle Custer from HortonWorks, Nov. 13, 10:30 – 11:15 AM. There are many kinds of open source organizations and open source licenses. This presentation will cover the various types of open source with a focus on the Apache Software Foundation (ASF). You’ll understand the process of how an idea goes from idea to incubation to project through community participation. You’ll learn how software is updated through contributors and committers. And finally you’ll how Hortonworks is stewarding Apache Hadoop. Watch video.
- How the Internet of Things is Solving the Biggest Energy Problems with Tom Raftery from RedMonk, Nov. 13, 11:30 – 12:15 PM. While the Internet of Things is enabling people to have connected light bulbs which can change colour, and to quantify every aspect of their lives, it is also involved in solving nation, and even planet scale problems, like how to decarbonise our electricity network. In this talk, GreenMonk analyst Tom Raftery will talk about how the Internet of Things is helping countries, utilities, and their customers drastically reduce the carbon impact of electricity generation and consumption. Watch video.
- Enterprise Digital Journeys, Powered by APIs with Kristian Gyorkos from Apigee, Nov. 13, 2:15 – 3:00 PM. Employees, external partners, customers, and consumers expect individualized experiences, wherever they are, whenever they need it. These new expectations pose serious challenges for enterprises attempting to compete in the digital economy. API-centric architectures are key to enabling these companies to quickly, securely, and scalably extend their current IT investments into this digital age. This session focuses on how some of the world’s leading companies—from traditional, hundred-year-old companies to companies founded in the internet age—are using APIs to: a) Enable greater productivity and engagement among employees, b) Expand their partner ecosystems for maximum business outreach, c) Engage with customers for personalized, omni-channel experiences. Watch video.
- DevOps, Continuous Delivery, and the New Composable Enterprise with Donnie Berkholz from RedMonk, 3:15 – 4:00 PM. Revolutionary approaches to software development and deployment are changing the way developers, systems admins, and entire businesses work. This talk by a RedMonk senior analyst will: explain what’s behind DevOps & continuous delivery and why they matter; introduce you to key software and practical techniques to implement DevOps; cover topics critical to next-gen software like microservices and PaaS; and show you how to transform your team and company to increase agility and minimize risk. Watch video.
- Win-Win:SAP and Open Source in the Enterprise with Thomas Grassl from SAP, Nov. 13, 4:15 – 5:00 PM. Open source has always been a part of SAP’s engineering philosophy and is now an integral part of many enterprise environments. At SAP, we use, maintain, and contribute significantly to open source technology in many areas. These include infrastructure as a service (IaaS), platform as a service (PaaS), representational state transfer (REST), Open Data Protocol (OData), HTML5, integrated data environments (IDEs), drivers, tools, and open source software (OSS) communities. This session will present an overview of SAP’s open source strategy and contributions, along with various use cases. It will serve as a guideline for embracing open source in your projects and road maps. Watch video.
The Tech Talks will take place in Theater 3, Hall 4.2. at the Messe Berlin. For additional details about each session and to add them to your agenda, click here.
Updated 12/04 – added descriptions and links to the videos for each session.