The Internet of Things is revolutionizing our daily lives, including our relationship to public space and our history. Beacons@Antibes, is the perfect example! It is indeed a smartphone application acting as a real tourist guide and interactive multimedia.
The City of Antibes in partnership with SAP Labs will launch an innovative mobile application that will revolutionize the way to commemorate the First World War on the 11th of November 2014. The idea is to catch the attention of the younger generations by integrating modernity into an historic event, in a way that makes sense. Beacons@Antibes will create this new interaction between a historical monument and the passerby smartphone.
The municipality of Antibes wants to play the role of a pilot city in this experiment because it is part of its strategic objective to strengthen its innovation capacity and improve the quality of its public services. The benefit is twofold: promote the participation of partners in technological innovation,
increase the efficiency of the municipality public action thanks to the new
opportunities offered by these innovations.
How does this application work?
It is no longer interesting to read the nameplate or scan a QR code of historical monuments. Now, the monuments will automatically push passers
smartphones by spontaneous notification. This particular innovation is an effective tool to promote the history and cultural heritage to the younger
The application is running silently when walking in the city. As soon as one enters a warning distance of 10-30 meters around a monument with a tag BLE
(Bluetooth Low -Energy ), the phone will alert the users and assists in its exploration of the city. The application recognizes the monuments by interaction BLE and in return provides visitors with information on the historical context.
This project is the result of the combination of the BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and beacons (wireless sensors) technology and the SAP cloud platform HANA (http://www.saphana.com/welcome). http://www.saphana.com/welcome
Learn more about the project Beacon@Antibes
Partners of the project:
This mobile application was developed in the scope of a public-private partnership , SAP Labs France , SAP Labs Montreal (division of SAP Canada) , the City of Antibes, the SICTIAM (Intercommunal Union of Computerized Local Authorities – Alpines Mediterranean), and EasyMedia company.
Objectives of the project:
- To improve the technical knowledge in the field of BLE tags: technology , costs, implementation , quality, sustainability , evolution,…
- Understand how the BLE technology works and what is the real added value for the user.
- Related issues such as the protection of information, compatibility with mainstream technologies and existing technology partners, etc.
- November 7, 2014 : Presentation of the application in preview, in the presence of Jean Leonetti , Mayor Deputy of Antibes and Hanno Klausmeier , president of SAP Labs France.
- November 11, 2014 : Beacons@Antibes will be launched Antibes on the occasion of the commemoration of the First World War.
What Internet of Things is about?