Today, at the Northern California ASUG meeting in San Jose, California, Lockheed’s Charlie Yang presented on how they simplified several Qnote screens with SAP Screen Personas. To a packed room, he described the usability challenges Lockheed faced in entering complex quality transactions through the standard SAP GUI. Some issues they wanted to fix with SAP Screen Personas included reducing the time to create or update Qnotes, shrinking the number of manual data entry errors, and streamlining the overall process flow.
He showed several examples of screens Lockheed simplified with SAP Screen Personas:
- An intuitive start screen with 1-click access to the most common transactions. To commemorate the 100th anniversary of Lockheed, they even included a special video on the page.
- A highly simplified create notification screen for material defects in which they removed toolbar elements, extraneous fields, pop-ups, screen subsections, and tabs to put everything on a single page.
- A streamlined create notification screen for an open lien, also with everything captured in one page. They simplified this one to around 10 fields, compared with several dozen in the original process.
He also talked about their user-centric development process in which they work closely with the business users to understand their pain points and then build prototypes or storyboards before moving onto any screen modifications using SAP Screen Personas.
After Charlie’s presentation, I did a short demo of SAP Screen Personas 3.0. It covered:
- Building a screen using the editor
- Recording my keystrokes to build a simple script
- Modifying the script to eliminate keystrokes, thereby improving user productivity
Other highlights of the event:
- ASUG CEO, Geoff Scott, gave a great keynote, connecting the dots between Vanity Fair, Gartner, and the audience. (Yes, you had to be there.)
- Eliad Goldwasser and Ganesan “Chittu” Chittharanjan presented on SAP’s user experience strategy.
Thank you to ASUG for arranging the event and to Maxim Integrated for hosting the meeting in their beautiful facility.