SAP Canada named a best employer – Here’s my top 10 reasons why!
This morning Media Corp Canada announced that SAP Canada had made their list of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for 2015. I’m totally not surprised. After completing the application for this special recognition, I already knew I was a part of something special. For me though, it’s still incredibly rewarding to see that regionally, folks are also taking note. To me, best employer awards are like the Oscars – calling out the best of the best and recognizing the greats.
It can be so easy to get caught up in the minutiae of every day work life and forget that I work for one the largest – and most impactful – software companies in the world. So I jump at the chance to share our stories and brag a little about SAP Canada’s awesomeness.
So, here’s my Top 10 list of reasons why I think SAP Canada is a Best Employer. It just barely scratches the surface of all of the incredible programs, services and the culture SAP offers to us:
1. We’re committed to our customers. It’s always the first thing I think about when sharing my pride in working at SAP. No matter what size, industry or location, SAP helps companies around the world to run simple. Here in Canada, our work helps keep Canadian headquarters in Canada and sustain the economy and the country.
2. No holds barred when it comes to sharing information with employees. SAP shares information openly and we celebrate our employees. Our Field Kick Off and our SAPPHIRE customer events each year offer detailed information on the strategy and what we need to do to be successful in our careers. They also have entertainment like private shows with Imagine Dragons and Jon Bon Jovi for a little extra inspiration.
3. …And vice versa. At SAP, everyone is encouraged to share their thoughts and ideas. We host Coffee Corners with our senior executives to enable this information exchange at all levels and provide employees the chance to hear our strategy from the top.
4. SAP takes care of its employees and their families. Benefits are not something taken lightly with SAP and our HR team works hard to provide plans that resonate with us. In 2014, they launched a new benefits program that was more customizable to and offered a more comprehensive benefits plan to employees.
5. Having a diverse workforce isn’t lip service. One of the most unique programs at SAP, and I think perhaps for any company around the world, is our Autism at Work program. Working with Specialisterne, SAP has committed to hiring individuals on the autism spectrum to comprise at least 1% of our workforce globally.
6. SAP runs SAP and our employees benefit from our company’s success. In addition to our share matching plan that provides discounted stock prices, the Employee Participation Plan (EPP) gives stock bonuses to all SAP employees as a reward for achieving the goals defined within SAP’s 2015 strategy.
7. The way to an employee’s heart… is through their stomach! SAPers in Canada love their lunches, and we love them even more here in Canada since we piloted the ‘Lunch on Us’ program. The program gives employees pre-loaded ‘cash’ cards each quarter to spend on lunch at local restaurants.
8. We pay it forward. I think SAP has one of the most incredible Corporate Social Responsibility programs in the world. In 2013, more than 8,000 hours were spent helping our Canadian communities and we donate an entire MONTH in October to volunteering! In 2014, we also announced that we were partnering with a high school in Vancouver to create STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) careers for young people to help fill a void in IT careers in Canada.
9. Working at SAP Canada is FUN! An event like our Summer Party sees an executive dunk tank for charity, games, prizes and entertainment, as well as socializing with your colleagues.
The SAP summer party dunk tank raised more than $3,110 for charity!
10. We truly have the best talent in the business and our leadership team is next to none. Without our incredible employees and leaders driving innovation every day, SAP Canada could not be a best employer.
So what does all of this mean? For me, being proud of the work we do at SAP inspires me to do more and I hope that my colleagues out there will continue to embrace and re-embrace all of the great things it means to work for SAP.
Considering a career at SAP? Go for it! Working at SAP and serving their mission of helping the world run better and improving people’s lives is incredible. Maybe you can help lend your talents to help make SAP an even BETTER Best Employer!