SAP recently wrapped up their annual TechEd && d-code this past week in Las Vegas and I must say it was an unforgettable week. As many of you may know this TechEd && d-code season marked the tenth anniversary of DemoJam , making this year’s show even more memorable.
Until last week, I had only heard and read about DemoJam. Having experienced the show first hand and being a part of the great atmosphere, I can easily say that it was one of my biggest highlights of the week. My personal favorite demo of the night was “Spot On – Find Anything, Anywhere, Anytime”, the winners of DemoJam 2014 Las Vegas. Considering that the presenters, Samtosh Kumar and Simranjeet Kaur, had only six minutes to present the demo to the audience, they did an excellent job engaging with the audience and bringing forth an idea that was easy to understand and practical to everyday life. Spot On is an application that can be used by anyone to find a lost or misplaced item with the help of a GPS technology. This easy to use application is powered by SAP HANA Cloud Platform; the application can be accessed on any laptop, mobile device or tablet. Kumar’s and Kaur’s demo was literally spot on, earning them the most claps and cheers from the audience.
If by any chance you missed the show, here is a quick recap of the night:
- The first demo of the night, Virtual Reality Conferencing with SAP Customer Activity Repository, was presented by last year’s winners Will Powell and Nic Doodson of KeyTree. Doodson and Powell demonstrated a system that allows user to create a data dashboard that can be examined live from an SAP Customer Activity Repository application to analyze and fix problems in a retail environment. Doodson and Powell used image recognition and computer vision techniques to convert the user’s sketches to a 3D dashboard element that can be viewed in virtual reality using an Oculus Rift and tablets. Watch Demo
- Next up was John Appleby and Brenton O’Callaghan of Bluefin Solutions who demoed “Enterprise Mash-Up Using SAP HANA Live and Apple Swift.” They built an open source Apple Swift API for SAP HANA extended application services. This application provides customers with a view from the order to the cash and allows users to drill down the information in detail. Watch Demo
- Clint Vosloo and Chris Rae demoed an application that was every surfer’s dream: “Swell Analytics.” Using SAP HANA platform and Magicseaweed API, Swell Analytics is able to give real-time analysis of where to surf and the weather conditions of the region you choose. The code base runs on SAP River and XS, the application uses SAP Lumira Sever technology for visualizations, and an OpenUI5 application which is all running on the SAP HANA platform. Watch Demo
- The InnoJam winners of 2014 in Palo Alto, Thomas Wilder and Cynthia Johnson demoed a “Drone-based Weed Control. The weed control is based on the premise that weeds consume water that is intended to go to the crops. The Drone-based weed control uses SAP HANA database populated with weed types to identify the weed via an infrared sensor. Weed control solutions are dispensed directly onto the weed based on the type, size and strength of solutions needed. Watch Demo
- Diego Menese and Lucas Lopez demoed “Super-Fast Cache for Mobile, which is an algorithm that was developed for SAP. The Super-Fast Cache for Mobile provides that extra performance needed while still complying with data-level security. This solution was developed by just putting existing pieces together- technologies that can found in any SAP systems.
- John Astill and Eric Vallo demoed “Internet of This Then That” which is a home automation and monitoring system powered of SAP HANA and SAP SQL. This home automation and monitoring system gives home owners real time updates on any movements, the people at home, and each room in the house. Watch Demo
- “Crusin’ Sensors and Trippin’ Fences- Automated Geo-Fence-Triggered Notifications for Field Crews in SAP Work Manager” was demoed by Tom Turchioe and Bill Griep. This demo presented a system that detects trucks crossing the geo-fences around sensors in an alert condition. The demo uses the SAP Work Manager 6.1 mobile applications with co-innovations by Critigen and SAP, which was customized through OpenUI5. Watch Demo
DemoJam Las Vegas 2014 was indeed a memorable experience for me, which makes me that more excited to see what DemoJam Berlin 2014, which takes place on November 11th, has to offer.