Following are two main reasons why it is important to prevent accidental migration of queries from 3.x to 7.x-
1) Some features (Formulas) might not work (or not work same way) in 7.x as compared to 3.x
2) Large number of users to be migrated to newer version of BEx Analyzer (time consuming)
The first two options are preventive solutions while the third one is a reactive workaround.
|Option 1||Enhance standard function module (FM responsible for opening query and Saving Query) in BW to prevent opening of 3.x query in 7.x query designer|
Create a different set of user-id’s in Production for BW super users. SAP OSS note 962530 can be used as a reference. Only new set of user id’s will have access to 7.x designer tool.
|Option 3||Apply reactive workaround by doing reverse migration of queries which were migrated to 7.x|
Option 1 (Recommended Proactive Approach) – Enhancing standard function module
Enhancing standard function module (FM responsible for opening query and saving Query) in BW to prevent opening of 3.x query in 7.x query designer.
1. Enhancing standard function module using implicit enhancement.
2. This will prevent opening of 3.x queries in 7.x query designer.
Note: Designer needs to be restarted to open any other query.
Step 1 (Implicit Enhancement)-
similar enhancement on “RSZ_X_COMPONENT_SET_NEW”
Tried to open ZTEST_3x 3.x query in 7.x query designer.
To allow specific users to migrate 3.x to 7.x, create a Z table and maintain list of allowed users. Code written above will be bypassed for these set of users.
To prevent accidental migration of 3.x to 7.x BEx Query when Query designer is launched from BEx Analyzer, logic has been put up in FM (RSZ_X_COMPONENT_SET_NEW) responsible for saving query.
Option 2- Create a different set of user-id’s in Production for BW super users. SAP OSS note 962530 can be used as a reference. Only new set of user id’s will have access to 7.x designer tool.SAP OSS note 962530 (1686583 for BEx Analyzer) can be referenced.
1. This new set of user ids will be created following a specific agreed naming convention. For instance Z7<*>, where <*> can be abbreviation of super user’s id.
2. This set of user ids will be shared amongst the 7.x toolkit users.
3. Using note 962530, an entry in t-code RS_FRONTEND_INIT (Parameter- QD_EXCLUSIVE_USER) can be made with asterisk i.e. “Z7*”.
4.These new set of user’s will have following authorization-
a. Explicit display access to eCRM BW BEx queries.
b. Edit access to only those BEx queries whose name starts with- “Z7S_<*>”. (7.x BEx queries by Super Users).
c. Super users will be able create and save query only if its name starts with “Z7S”.
5. It should be noted that nobody should create 3.x queries following above naming convention.
Option 3- Apply reactive workaround by doing reverse migration of queries which were migrated to 7.x
If query is migrated to 7.x accidentally, SAP notes 949330/1003481 can be used to apply reverse migration.