On October 17th and 24th, 2014, I will be teaching an Advanced Social Media Course at UCSC Extension Silicon Valley.
If you have been thinking about investing in your career by improving your social media marketing skills, this course is a great opportunity to learn with your peers from Silicon Valley. As I outlined in a recent blog post, to stay relevant in the days of digital transformation, social media skills are essential.
That’s why I am teaching advanced social media at UCSC Ext. for the second year.
My day job is running my own social (media) business consultancy, MarketingXLerator – after having worked for companies like SAP and EMC over the years – so can bring in real-world case studies to share. What am I planning to teach?
You can read the official course description here (which was produced by somebody else and is a bit ambitious for a 16 hour course).
- How to build a brand on social media
- How to create a social media strategy that works
- Goals, audience, channel identification
- When to use owned, earned and paid media
- Why “Marketing” automation is crucial to the social business
- What digital transformation is and how it affects your career
- How to leverage influencers and advocates
- What is hype vs. what really works
I am also reserving time in this course to address questions and topics the students request, to make sure they can take what they learn in class back to their jobs, grow their careers and impress their bosses :-).
- An active and complete LinkedIn profile. (As this is an advanced class, that seems reasonable to me.)
- A professional bio in multiple lengths: 100, 75, 50, and 25 words, as well as 160 characters.
I have invited a number of social media professionals from Silicon Valley to share their on-the-job experiences. Petra Neiger, Sr. Dir. Integrated Marketing at Polycom, and Eric Geslien, Dir. Enterprise Sales at Tracx, and Mario Herger of Enterprise Gamification Consulting, are confirmed so far.
- Petra, @Petra1400, will speak about integrated marketing in the age of digital media.
- Eric, @Geslien, will talk about (and demo) how to prove the value of social media to meet business goals.
- Mario, @MHerger, will provide examples of how gamification can be used to drive results in marketing.
To attend the class, you need to register directly on the UCSC Ext. website.
Contact me at @NaThomson if you have question.