Calling all Musicians (ed: And of course, Music Lovers/Dancers/People wanting to have some fun)
It’s a Friday afternoon, a week before you’re heading to Vegas to go to TechEd && d-code, and you’re sitting around wondering what you can do to pass the time till you go to Vegas. Well this is a call to arms to those budding garage/home studio or even semi/pro musicians working in and around SAP and attending #saptd in just over a week.
See, on the Wednesday night before DemoJam, the SAP Mentors with the help of the Fiori team are forming a jam band to play with the crowd (e.g. You) for a bit of fun (FYI – The TechEd Jam Band was initiated by David Hull and is now in its 3rd year in Vegas) . They’ll be quality drums, bass, guitars, keyboard, and mics all set-up ready for us to jam out to a few eighties inspired songs (because why not…I mean because Huey Lewis is playing on the Thursday). And to encourage the crowd to sing and dance along, they’ll even be a few freebies going out to the crowd. eg. Bribes or some may say inspiration.
Feel like jamming with us for a song or two? Then here’s everything you need to know:
- First and most importantly – There’s no pressure – we will have lyrics on stage, plus feel free to print out tab, or whatever you need to get through any songs. Though we stop at Milli Vanilli impressions.
- There will be 2 practice sessions and it is best if you can make it along to both of these. The first one is late on the Monday night at 9pm (this will probably be a bit messy but it comes together the next day and we really use it to throw out songs that just won’t come together in time; hence the most important session is at 9pm Tuesday night. If you can’t attend either of these, feel free to offer your skills on the night, but no guarantees there will be a free mic/guitar/drum set/bass/keyboard.
- The setlist has a mix of songs such as Beatles – Twist and Shout through to AC/DC’s Highway to Hell, but to give you a sense of some of the songs, watch the following karaoke style playlist (mainly for the singers): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR4aOPzqzKwdPeFKqolV8_9_CySDalg3n
- Want to sing a song not in the playlist that is easy to play and everyone knows – let us know – we might be able learn it for the night.
- Play trumpet or saxophone and wondering whether you can play? Bring your own instrument along, and join us. At least a couple of songs could do with a brass section or solo and we’d love to have you join us.
That’s about it. We have volunteer singers for most songs (Even I’ve put my hand up to sing one, so the bar is not set too high), but really, if we run out of mic’s because we get too many singers – that’s all good.
We’ve got a drummer for all the songs, but he would love to play Bass on a few songs. We have a Bass player for all songs, but he’d like to play guitar or not play and have a beer for a song or two. And I’m in the same boat, happy to take a break (though can’t wait to play the Highway to Hell riff really loud).
Think you might want to join us and want more info – No problem – Send me an email to email@example.com, and let me know what instrument you play and I’ll send back the full potential setlist (so you can nominate your interest in any song) and the times and locations of the practices.
Lastly, if you play in the band on the night, you’ll automatically (I think) get a free, very rock and roll, black Fiori Rocks tour t-shirt.
For those about to Rock – We salute you!
Hope to see you in Vegas!