The University of Notre Dame has recently delivered its new SAP Predictive Analytics course in the Mendoza College of Business. The overview of the course from Notre Dame’s course catalog reads as follows:
- Gain hands on experience using analytic solutions from SAP. Topics include reporting using SAP Business Objects Analysis, and data mining using SAP Predictive Analysis. Students are introduced to SAP Business Objects and SAP Crystal analytic applications with a focus on hands-on exercises covering end user analytics. The focus is hands-on exercises covering developer-focused analytics.
I had the pleasure of visiting the classroom today to solicit student feedback and talk about SAP careers and SAP Analytics with the participants. I asked each one of the students to share at least one comment about the classroom experience and have summarized the key points below.
Happy to see how analytics could be used or applied to other courses in the business school.
- Found software to be user friendly and incredibly fast compared to other alternatives like spreadsheets.
- Students enjoyed the focus on graphics and visualization and liked the ability to quickly combine different types of data sets.
- Appreciated flexibility in how tools could be used across multiple industries and processes.
- Merging different data sets was very easy and valuable for analysis.
- Really liked the practical nature of the course – did not get mired in theory.
Together with its use of ERPSIM, the Mendoza College of Business continues to expand its curriculum related to SAP technology and will be launching a new graduate program in January.
The Notre Dame Master of Science in Business (MSBA) provides a rigorous education in applying analytical techniques to massive data sets to solve business problems, and to better manage the risks and opportunities surrounding advances in data technology.
- Intended for working professionals at all levels of their careers, the MSBA program will cover topics such as data mining, data storage and manipulation, data visualization, statistics, modeling, optimization and simulation.
- Students attend classes at Notre Dame’s Chicago campus on alternating Friday/Saturday sessions, plus three extended sessions at the Stayer Center for Executive Education on the Notre Dame campus in South Bend.
- Approximately 25 percent of course material is delivered outside of class in an online format. The program ends with a three-credit practicum with a prominent company that focuses on integrating the skills learned in the classroom with real-world data and feedback.
SAP will be working with Notre Dame on elements of its curriculum for this new MSBA and other classroom opportunities in the coming months.