Why SAP NetWeaver portal is worthwhile?
SAP NetWeaver portal is a significant service provider to an enterprise portal. A number of inbuilt basic services like single sign on (SSO), integration, federation, personalization, and many more make it worthy to meet the requirements of any enterprise’s portal to facilitate its users. Users are benefitted in their day to day life decision making by accessing a huge amount of relevant data very quickly. It also helps to be productive in the competitive market scenario. It facilitates a single point of access to an integrated system with greater functionality by the access to the SAP and non SAP information sources. A number of features available into the SAP NetWeaver portal make it worthy to the users is as follows:
1) The portal framework which facilitates to integrate SAP and non SAP business applications into a portal. It also provides services to build new applications.
2) Knowledge management gives the capability to access to the available structured and unstructured information in a structured fashion by the help of other installable software units (like TREX). It facilitates to store unstructured information in various types of repositories. All the integrated repositories can be navigated by the search function in the portal by the users to get the information these repositories contain.
3) Collaboration has the capacity to connect users in the portal in the project space by a) virtual rooms where team members can share data and services from different geographical locations; b) groupware integration which integrates email and scheduling services used in the company; c) Asynchronous collaboration; d) Real time collaboration (RTC).
4) Unification maximizes the usefulness of a portal navigation between SAP customers by drag and relate navigation and by the ability to manipulate the relations between business objects. It balances user’s requirements to the retrieved data in business context.
5) Federated portal implementation is beneficial in sharing content between SAP and non SAP portals across organizations distributed landscape by single point of access to the portal. It helps to reuse the contact as well as applications by deploying throughout the organization without affecting each and every unit’s autonomy running in independent portals. Therefore, it helps to reduce the administrative efforts.
6) External facing portal gives a web exposure to the organizations portal by exposing information, applications, services, etc. to the anonymous as well as self registered users.
7) Enterprise workspace gives flexibility to integrate, organize and use various contents to the users.
8) Tool like web page composer give a chance to the portal users to create their own portal pages.
9) Wikis not only allows creating collaborative web pages, it also gives an option to the users to interlink the web pages.