SMP 3.0 – Agentry.ini (Configuration file) deprecated in SMP Production mode
All SAP Mobility users of Agentry and SMP 3.0,
As a proactive effort to describe the newest features of SMP and Agentry, we would like to discuss or define the new changes made to the platform to support Agentry/SMP clusters.
In SMP 3.0 SP03 there was an SMP architectural change to support clusters. The Agentry configurations (setup in the agentry.ini) are now stored in the SMP data store and available to Agentry cluster nodes (or all server nodes), so the standalone agentry.ini is no longer needed in production. Most of the former agentry.ini settings that are needed to configure the connection are now in the SAP Management Cockpit. There may be some other agentry.ini features not built-in to the cockpit due to the change but it may show up later or removed completely.
Symptoms that you may see:
- The Agentry.ini disappears whenever you restart the SMP 3.0 server
- Agentry.ini (SMP 3.0) is not taking your last configuration changes (edits) and is being ignored by the SMP 3.0 platform
What is the definition of an Agentry production or development publish?
Please refer to the following documents:
- Publishing to Development.
- Publishing to Production. (In particular – “When you are ready to perform final quality assurance testing or need to deploy the application to users, you perform a production publish in the Agentry Editor, which zips the application files in preparation for importing in to SAP Mobile Platform Server – via the SAP Management Cockpit). In Production mode, the agentry.ini by designed is deleted from the deployed folder as it is stored in the SMP product-name data store or share. Also nobody can edit an Agentry.ini (or copy it) and expect it to exist in the production deployment folder to be taken in by SMP 3.0 with this architectural change. This is by design.
- Agentry Editor – Publish Server Configuration Error. (SMP 3.0 SP05 SDK).
- Agentry Editor – Publish Server Configuration Error. (SMP 3.0 SP04 Server). – Adaptive Server Enterprise database (cluster).
Most of the products designed in Agentry: SAP Work Manager, SAP Inventory Manager, SAP Sales Manager and others can be downloaded from the service market place. All of the zipped files released are production zip files.
Referenced feature number (SAPJira SMPAGENTRY-867 and SMPAGENTRY-952).
Design recommendation: Before using the design in production mode (zip publish), make sure you tested everything in development. Once you do a zip production publish and import this in the Management Cockpit (in production), your Agentry.ini is not used (or cannot be used for updates) in the SMP configuration Agentry deployment folder (ex: \SMP\Server\configuration\com.sap.mobile.platform.server.agentry.application).
Workaround: Sometimes user may need to do some last minute changes in production. In this case, you may follow the Quick Start Guide Work Manager 6.1 technique where you will need to recreate the Agentry node (From the presentation: check the pictures on how the agentry.ini gets removed after you import the Agentry zip file).
As we continue to improve our documentation and release notes, we appreciate your time in reviewing this blog. Please share this with your common designers and users to share the knowledge.
SAP Platinum Support Engineer (Mobility)