How to register/activate ActiveX component MSCOMM32.OCX on Windows 7
This is a follow on document to my previous blog on “Read COMM port using ABAP w/o third party software”. In this blog I will try to explain step-by-step on how to download and activate Windows activeX control MSCOM32.OCX on the client PC where the Weighbridge’s serial port is connected.
Go to the link http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/mscomm32.cab and download the file mscomm32.ocx
If you are running Windows on 32 bit machine Copy the file that you have downloaded to C:\Windows\System32 folder.
However, if you are running windows on 64 bit machine then copy this file in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder
How to activate / re-register MSCOMM32.OCX from an elevated command prompt (Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8):
- Click the Start button.
- Type “command” in the search box… DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
- Click Yes.
- Make sure you have changed the path to C:\Windows\System32 if you are on 32 bit machine
- or C:\Windows\ SysWOW64 if you are on 64 bit machine
- Type the following command: regsvr32 /u MSCOMM32.OCX.
- Hit ENTER. This will UN-REGISTER your file.
- Type the following command: regsvr32 /i MSCOMM32.OCX.
- Hit ENTER.
- If this gives any error the type the following regsvr32 MSCOMM32.OCX.
- Hit ENTER. This will RE-REGISTER your file.
- Close the command prompt window.
- Re-start the system.