Business Process Operations Alert Reporting Analysis (MAI)
Further issues of this blog
You can find an introduction to Business Process Monitoring in SAP Solution Manager in the Functional
Scope of Business Process Monitoring in SAP Solution Manager of this blog. There, all further blogs dealing with various aspects of Business Process Monitoring are linked. The blog will be updated regularly.
BPO Alert Reporting Analysis
The Business Process Monitoring (BPMon) function within SAP Solution Manager offers the possibility to monitor the availability and reliability of business processes that have been maintained in a solution landscape. BPMon offers a wide range of different monitors for different business areas as well as cross application monitors, e.g. IDoc monitoring.
As of Solution Manager 7.1 SP12, BPMon is available on the Monitoring and Alerting Infrastructure (BPMon on MAI). For BPMon on MAI, the alerts that occur are assigned to different areas within Business Process Operations (BPO).
For BPMon on MAI, a new Alert Reporting function for these BPO alerts is available as of Solution Manager 7.1 SP12. It is based on the Business Warehouse (BW) functionality and the Monitoring Application Infrastructure (MAI). It enables you to:
- Display the number of red and yellow alert groups, alert instances and incidents for a specific business process context split up by rating in graphical charts for a period of time
- Display the maximum duration until alert group confirmation for a specific business process context split up by rating in graphical charts for a period of time
- Visualize a daily and monthly trends in numbers of alert groups, alert instances, incidents and maximum duration until alert group confirmation
Please observe that as of Solution Manager 7.1 SP12 customers can choose which monitoring infrastructure to use for BPMon: Classic BPMon or BPMon on MAI. The choice is made per solution. Customers can have solutions using classic BPMon on the same Solution Manager system as solutions using BPMon on MAI. For classic solutions, the classic BPMon Alert Reporting function as described in the BPMon Alert Reporting Setup Guide is available.
The BPO Alert Reporting described in this Setup Guide is only available for solutions using BPMon on MAI. For these solutions, BPMon on MAI as described in the Setup Guide for BPMon on MAI has to be configured and activated.
The BPO Alert Reporting covers the following functionality
- Accesses the unified MAI storage locations
- Relies on the unified MAI data transfer
- Uses the UI5 user interface
- Has an enhanced default analysis scope
- Uses the twincube concept inkl. automated housekeeping
The data accesses are realized technically as RFC queries (the queries are not related to BI Content anymore), working on the collected and stored data in the BW. They are called by oData services within an UI5 dashboard which can be accessed directly following an URL in a web browser.
The BPO Alert Reporting dashboard graphics allows tracking
- the number of alerted managed objects (see Figure 1)
- the number of red and yellow alert groups, instances and incidents per managed object (see Figure 2)
- the maximum duration, until red and yellow rated alert groups have been confirmed, per managed object (see Figure 2)
- the trend for alert group, instance and incident numbers (see Figure 3)
- the trend for the maximum duration until alert group confirmation
The entry screen (seeFigure 1) enables to limit the accessed data volume to a reasonable amount by selecting the timeframe and the BPMon Context for a specific BPO Solution in SAP Solution Manager.
The data analysis is done based on Managed Object level. A drill down to days or months is possible. The displayed Alert Reporting Analysis can be filtered regarding:
- Managed Object
Figure 1 – Number of Alerted Managed Objects as Entry Point
Figure 2 – Number of Red and Yellow Alert Groups, Instances, Incidents and Maximum Duration until Alert Group Confirmation per Managed Object
Further Documentation and Setup Guide
A Setup Guide for the BPO Alert Reporting Analysis will be available soon in the Business Process Monitoring – Solution Manager – SCN Wiki under –> Media Library –> Technical Information –> BPMon on MAI or directly here.
The Setup Guide is based on the current release which was shipped end of July 2014.
 According to the twin cube concept, the data are stored as daily
and monthly records. According to the default housekeeping settings in the
SOLMAN_SETUP the daily records are kept at least 90 days. That is why the BPO
Alert Reporting switches to monthly display with horizons larger than this
authorized. The recently selected solution is saved as a user-specific setting
and reloaded, when the user is calling the BPO Alert Reporting again.