Analyzing World Largest Railway Network with help of SAP Lumira: Data Geek III Challenge
I am just writing this blog as part of Data Geek challenge III: and my analysis is on World Largest railway network,(INDIAN RAILWAY)
Indian Railways (reporting mark IR / भा. रे) is operated by the Government of India. It is one of the world’s largest railway networks comprising 115,000 km (71,000 mi) of track over a route of 65,436 km (40,660 mi) and 7,172 stations.
- Railways were first introduced to India in 1853 from Bombay (Now Mumbai) to Thane. In 1951 the systems were nationalized as one unit, the Indian Railways, becoming one of the largest networks in the world
- Indian Railway successfully completed 150 years
- In 2013-14, IR carried 8,425 million passengers annually or more than 23 million passengers daily.
- Indian Railways is the world’s ninth largest commercial or utility employer, by number of employees, with over 1.307 million employees
- Indian railway operates both long distance and suburban rail systems on a multi-gauge network of Broad, Meter and narrow gauges. Metro train and Mono rail also running in some metro cities of India.
- Indian Railways has several classes of travel with or without air-conditioning. A train may have just one or many classes of travel. The fares for all classes are different with unreserved seating class being the cheapest and some trains includes food served in the train at the berth and seat itself
- In India Railway is primary and most useful mode of Public transportation and also major mode of Goods Transportation
- In 2013–2014 Indian Railways had revenues of 1441.67 billion (US$24 billion) which consists of 375.0 billion (US$6.2 billion) from freight and 940.0 billion (US$15 billion) from passengers tickets.
In Indian Railway Total earning from Passenger Trains and Goods Trains from year 2000 -2012,
Total Earning of Indian Railway from Passenger Train and Goods Train, 2000-12 (In Million)
Indian railway operates Rail systems mainly in Broad Gauge, Meter Gauge and Narrow Gauge systems.
Total Earning of Indian Railway from different gauge system, Year 2009-12 (In Million)
(Broad Gauge, Meter gauge and Narrow Gauge Network)
Indian Railways is divided into several zones to operates world largest Railway network
Broad and Meter Gauge Passenger Trains Earning from Zone Wise, Year 2009-12 (In Million)
Broad Gauge and Meter Gauge Good Trains Earning from Zone Wise, Year 2009-12 (In Million)
In last conclude Lumira tool is helpful to analyse the World Largest Railway Network information in a fast, simple and self-service way, with accurate data to understand the financial growth of Indian Railway.
Information Collected from :
Thanks & Regards