While exploring the features of BW on HANA, I came across HANA optimized transformation. I believe everyone would aware of this already. I just wanted to share my observations on this.
In BW 7.4 on HANA, we can even move the transformation processing to HANA DB level.
As we see in the below figure, now the transformation also is possible to process (the Mappings, formulas, conversions etc.) at HANA DB level.
Figure 1(taken from one of the SAP document)
HANA optimized Transformation is possible only in below cases:-
- Only DSO as Targets.
- Source should one of these: PSA,DSO,Infocube,Mutliprovider,SPOs
- No routines should be written in transformation(Start,end,field routines/transfer routine, expert routines)
- Only for Mappings, Conversions, formulas, Read data from Master/DSO.
- Transformation with SAP HANA Expert script.
- There is a check in the transformation which will tell us, whether it is possible to push down the processing to HANA DB.
- On Activation, the system will enable this checkbox “SAP HANA Processing possible” if the transformation satisfies the rule types for HANA processing.
Figure 2: Transformation
- On activation, we can see 2 programs generated for Transformations.
- One for normal processing and other one for HANA processing
Figure 3: Transformation
- If you click on HANA transformation, you can see a HANA Analysis process (Source->Function/Script->Target) is created for our object.
Figure 4: Generated HANA Transformation
- Since my data source used here is PSA, it had created with database table as PSA table name, and target as my DSO name
- In between, there is a standard Class used for the mappings etc.
- The data analysis part will be executed at DB level.
- In DTP, we can choose to process Transformation either in HANA or normal processing(in Application server)
- For HANA execution, the Semantics/Error handling should be disabled in DTP. Otherwise, the SAP HANA execution option won’t appear in processing mode.
So this is how the transformation is pushed down to HANA DB level, by generating a HANA transformation(which is HANA Analysis process).
P.S: I couldn’t compare the performance between these modes as of now. I will share the same, once I had done.