These are some frequent issues which we come across while we do SAP Event Management Development and Quality system upgrade or patching.
Issue 1: Event Handlers are not created and updated in SAP Event Management post upgrade or patching
When you create a sales order, event handler doesn’t get created in SAP Event Management system.
To find out the root cause, I set a breakpoint in the beginning of functional module CALL FUNCTION ‘GET_R3_EXTENSION_SWITCH’ inside Sales order BADI /SAPTRX/SD_SALESORD -> Method IF_EX_BADI_SD_SALES~SAVE_DOCUMENT.
CALL FUNCTION ‘GET_R3_EXTENSION_SWITCH’
i_structure_package = l_structure_package
e_active = l_extflag
After setting the breakpoint, when I create a new sales order in ECC system, I can check, what is the importing value returned by the parameter “l_extflag”. In this case, I could see importing value returned by l_extflag is “blank”. The blank value shows that Business Transaction Event PI-EM is disabled in Transaction code BF11.
Business Transaction Event PI-EM is disabled in Transaction code BF11.
Enable Business Transaction Event PI-EM in Transaction code BF11. To test if it works now, create a new sales order and it should create an event handler in SAP Event Management.
During patching / upgrade, Business Transaction Event PI-EM checkbox is being overwritten automatically to “Uncheck”.
Issue 2: Error “Target SAP system not found: Please check the customizing for the link and the customizing for the RFC connection”
SAP EM WebUI – We may want to check the existing sales orders, which have been created in the past. Here, I check if we can navigate to ECC Sales Order screen via Display link. When I click on the sales order hyperlink, it throws an error “Target SAP system not found: Please check the customizing for the link and the customizing for the RFC connection”.
First, check the configuration in IMG -> Event Management -> Event Messages, Status Queries, and Web Interface -> Web Interface -> Assign Link to Configured Field –> Assign Business Object Information / Assign Target Configured Field. In case you see any problem with configuration, fix it here. If all configuration looks fine, then we need to debug a little more from SAP EM WebUI.
Let’s move on to SAP EM WebUI to check why and where the issue occurs. Following are the actual steps that I did in SAP EM WebUI to identify where the problem is.
- Executed Tcode SE24 and entered /SAPTRX/CL_EM_WDA_UI.
- Selected Method – GET_RFC_DESTINATION – returns name of rfc destination for link to SAP system.
- Set External Breakpoint or Ctrl+Shift+F9 in the Method – GET_RFC_DESTINATION.
- Clicked Sales order hyperlink or display link in SAP EM WebUI.
- ABAP debugger screen appeared and stopped at CASE iv_log_sys_from.
- Executed F5 three times and double clicked on IV_LOG_SYS.
- I could see Application Object System ID was populated in WHERE app_system_id = iv_log_sys.
- It was pointing out to production system instead of patching upgrade system id.
- To track back from where this field was getting populated, I checked Standard Tab in debugging screen.
- In ABAP and Screen Stack block, double clicked the METHOD – CREATE_LINK_TO_SAP.
- The cursor shows at lv_rfc_dest = wd_assist->get_rfc_destination.
- I could see lv_log_sys was getting value from lv_aosys (line 3,564: lv_log_sys = lv_aosys).
- The lv_aosys value was coming from line 3,489: lv_aosys = ls_hdr-ao_system.
- I checked the line 3,486: READ TABLE lt_hdr INTO ls_hdr had called and filled the data of ao_system.
- Double clicked ls_hdr to check entry in ao_system. Hmm… The value of production id was coming from this field.
- The data is got from table /SAPTRX/EH_HDR-AO_SYSTEM (ls_hdr filled data from /saptrx/bapi_eh_disp_hdr).
When you perform validation, post system upgrade or patching work, do not use old completed event handlers for display link validation, because old (mean production) application system id resides in event handler header table /SAPTRX/EH_HDR-AO_SYSTEM.
Issue 3: “HTTP Error not found” in SAP EM WebDynpro-based UI navigation by using the “Display Details” button
When you highlight a line item and click “Display Details” button in SAP EM WebUI, it throws an error message as “HTTP 404 Not Found” in Internet Explorer browser (if your default browser is Chrome or Firefox, then it shows only a blank screen and no message).
- The issue is a change in the kernel implementation of method cl_http_utility=>fields_to_string() now causes the escape of the name part of the name/value pairs provided to the method.
- Correction is required in /SAPTRX/EM_WDA_UI COMPONENTCONTROLLER.
Implement this SAP OSS note 2002844 – Garbled URLs for the WebDynpro UI to fix the issue.
Kernel Patching / upgrade caused the issue.
Issue 4: Error – “Logon balancing error85: Message Server for _tsystem ‘XXX’ not found – check spelling and/or configuration”
When you click Sales order / Delivery / Shipment hyperlink in SAP EM WebUI, a login box appears (if you are not logged in already). Once you enter your user id and password credentials in popup screen, you get an error message immediately as “Logon balancing error85: Message Server for _tsystem ‘XXX’ not found – check spelling and/or configuration”.
- Check if your SAP GUI logon pad version is SAPGUI 720 or lower
- If yes, then you need to upgrade your user logon pad to SAPGUI 7.30 Patch 5 or upgrade SAPGUI logon pad depending on your SAP EM upgrade or patching versions.
We need to check which SAP GUI Logon pad is suitable for your SAP EM upgrade or patching.
Bonus Points: Post refresh activity in SAP EM
When there is a post refresh activity in SAP EM and Application Source System, we need to change SAP EM Logical system in the below configurations to show the correct system id’s.
1. SAP Event Management :
- IMG -> Event Management -> Event Handlers and Event Handler Data -> Parameters -> Define Parameter Mapping -> Assign Profile to Mapping Area -> Application System Field -> Change correct system id (Dev or QA or Preproduction)
2. SAP ECC System:
- IMG -> Integration with Other mySAP.com Components -> Event Management Interface -> Define Application Interface -> Define Used Bus. Proc. Types, Appl. Obj. Types, and Evt Types -> Define Used Business Process Types -> Define Application Object Types -> General Data Tab -> Event Manager Field -> Change correct system id (Dev or QA or Preproduction)
- IMG -> Integration with Other mySAP.com Components -> Event Management Interface -> Define Application Interface -> Define Used Bus. Proc. Types, Appl. Obj. Types, and Evt Types -> Define Used Business Process Types Define Event Types -> General Data Tab -> Event Manager Field -> Change correct system id (Dev or QA or Preproduction)
If you have encountered any issues during SAP EM upgrade or patching, please list your problems and solutions in the comments section of this post.