Last week, the Developer Relations team organized a Open Source meet up around success stories, failures
and best practices of Open Source initiative in bigger organizations. This time – it was our second meetup – we had 75 people attending the meet up. Our community grew from 18 to 75 within a month – that is pretty impressive! I was obviously really excited to welcome all participants and our 3 speakers: Zach Chandler from the Stanford University, SAP’s Tools Team (Ben Boeser, Dominik Tornow, David Farr), and Mark Hinkle from Citrix! Based on the feedback from our participants, most people really enjoy the variety of speakers and valued the different perspectives on Open Source initiatives in bigger organizations.
If you were not able to attend, please find the slides of the talks below:
- Zach Chandler: How Enterprise Leverages Open Source (Web Strategist at Stanford University, Principal at Ambergris Consulting)
- Tools Team: How to use GitHub to best support developers (SAP Labs)
- Mark Hinkle: Things I Learned about Open Source The Hard Way (Citrix)
I also wanted to thank Inga Bereza and Garick Chan for their support as Co-Organizers – they did a great job!
For this second meetup, we actually changed our format based on the feedback we received from our early community members. This time we had one more speaker, shorter speaking slots and more focused talks. For the next meetup the speaking slots will get shorter again – our member like to discuss in more detail and exchange their experiences. They also want to have small “pitching slots” to talk about their projects within the community! Oh yeah – also, we will have more pizza – that was requested most 😉
Overall, this was an amazing experience and I was really glad to have so many people joining our community! Check out the pictures below (or check out the meetup description directly) to see what you missed 🙂
Here are the impressions our community members:
- Rick A: “Great talk from a wide variety of speakers regarding use of open source at their workplace. Very informative, exactly what I was hoping to hear about. Pragmatic talks about open source in general, specific discussions on Drupal, Git, OpenSSL, and others.”
- Daniel K.: “It was great! Very reassuring that other big organizations are having similar experiences…and overcoming them.”
- Jack P.: “Very useful meeting, great hosts and talks.”
- Greg P.: “All the speakers were great. Big thanks to the organizers & SAP for hosting.”
If you are an Open Source enthusiast, please join our meet up group and RSVP for the next meet up on September 24th!