This year, SAP is making some changes to its traditional tech educational conference in the Fall. The whole program is expanding to include new activities and content that will give you even more opportunities to get hands-on coding experience, learn and challenge your skills, meet the experts and connect with other developers, while experiencing all the new and cool stuff that SAP developers have been working on, as well as the latest updates and releases on SAP’s technology.
Here are 10 reasons for not missing this year’s SAP TechEd && d-code events (Las Vegas – Oct 20 – 24, Berlin – Nov 11-13): (Note: I will update this blog with additional information on specific times, dates and links as soon as they become available.)
- InnoJam: a standard fixture at previous SAP TechEd events, InnoJam will be a little different this year. For instance, it will be held in the Bay Area the weekend before SAP TechEd && d-code in Las Vegas (Oct 18 – 19). For Berlin, it will be held at the Messe Berlin on Nov. 9 – 10. The theme for both locations will be Internet of Things for the Agricultural Industry and you’ll get to experience real-life projects and play with different types of sensors (humidity, light, etc.). We will also have Rasberry Pi machines and other gadgets on hand for additional fun. Only 100 people will get a chance to participate at each location so register now! (Registration for Berlin is closed; Palo Alto/Bay Area is now open).
- SAP CodeJam mini-editions: introduced last year, the mini-editions of SAP CodeJam offer developers an opportunity to get familiar with SAP developer tools while exploring them with the help of the experts. These 1-hour hands-on sessions will be offered on the show floor and available to everyone on a first come, first served basis. We will have sessions on SAP HANA development environment, SAP HANA Cloud and HTML5, SAP River RDE, SAP UI5, and more. The schedule of sessions is available here: Vegas, Berlin (updated 8/21/14).
- SAP TechEd && d-code educational sessions: one of the most valuable aspects of SAP TechEd has been its educational lecture and hands-on sessions – and the tradition continues! Not only do you get the latest information, but you also get to meet the experts and exchange ideas with fellow developers and other IT professionals. Check out this page for an overview of the sessions and start building your agenda so you can make the most of your time while you are at the event.
Making a comeback:
- Hacker Night: this is an exclusive event (by invitation only) where developers will get to explore the latest SAP technologies with the help of the experts. Only attendees that select a ‘developer’ job function during the registration process will receive an invite. This event will be held during one night only.
New this year:
- IoT at Scale, a Redmonk event at SAP TechEd && d-code: this is a pre-conference event like we had last year in Palo Alto with a cool twist. We are partnering with Redmonk to bring you a unique perspective on topics and technologies developers are interested in. We will look into IoT at scale for automation, analytics, data management. We will bridge between high scale architectures and infrastructures and the business issues that companies face every day. Cloud, Big Data and the Open API movement will play a central part as drivers of the IoT revolution. The event will celebrate both Maker culture and industrial design, web and mobile, top-down and bottom-up. The talks will be technical in nature, aimed at developers, architects and digital innovators. Check it out and register at iotatscale.com.
- Hackers’ Lounge: the overall theme for this area on the show floor will be Internet of Things and we will have a couple of demos available for you to see first-hand how they were actually built/coded. You’ll get to work with the experts on different hacks as well as building new apps. If you are into open source, experts will be on hand to share some information and demos about current SAP initiatives such as OpenUI5, Review Ninja, and more. Here is a sneak peek of what our developers are putting together for the IoT Lab inside the Hackers’ Lounge:
- Developer Garage: think of it as a ‘genius bar’ where you’ll be able to bring in your laptop and get help installing some of the developer tools and environments available for you to start developing new apps. It will only be opened on Monday afternoon so make sure to bring your laptop and get ready to start exploring and creating. Experts will help you installing the developers trials for SAP HANA Cloud Platform, SAP River Rapid Development Environment, SAP Mobile Platform, SAP NetWeaver Application Server ABAP 7.4 on SAP HANA, and SAP Lumira. Click here to check out the pre-requisites to make sure your laptop is configured correctly. Here is a blog with additional information about the Developer Garage.
- Code Review: learn how to make bad code good and how to improve good code. Experts will go through real world examples and provide tips and techniques to ensure that the code that you write is secure, readable and efficient. Check out the schedule of sessions for Vegas and for Berlin. (Updated 8/26)
- Tech Talks: 30-min talks by industry experts on topics that are currently trending in the industry followed by 15 min of Q&A. There will be a couple of sessions each day. More information will be posted shortly.
- Show-floor Only tickets: Show Floor Only tickets (Vegas, Berlin) are available for $199/day for developers interested in checking out the conference, networking with fellow developers, meeting the experts, or being there only for a day or two. With this ticket, you’ll get access to all the activities happening on the show floor including but not limited to some of the activities mentioned above (read this blog for more details – updated 9/5).
And last but not least, DemoJam. At tradition since 2004, DemoJam is a contest for you to showcase your skills and apps to the SAP ecosystem. 6 teams of 2 people will have 6 minutes to show their demos and win the audience over for a chance to win fame and glory! Be part of the 10th anniversary celebration and submit your demo before September 10th – deadline extension: September 20th (Submissions are now closed).
We look forward to seeing you there!
Update 9/2: New developer events SCN badges will be available for all participants at SAP CodeJam mini-editions in Vegas and Berlin, as well as for DemoJam and SAP InnoJam winners. Make sure that we scan your badge and/or check you in at any of these activities in order to receive them.
Note: I will add links and additional information regarding all of these activities over the next few weeks so stay tuned!
Follow us on Twitter for updates: @sapdevs
8/21 – Added link to schedule for 2. CodeJam mini-editions
8/26 – Added link for more info on 7. Developer Garage and for the schedule of sessions for 8. Code Review
9/2 – Added SCN badges info (for participation in SAP CodeJam mini-editions and for the winners of InnoJam and DemoJam)
9/5 – DemoJam submissions deadline extended to Sep. 20th. Added link to blog with info on Show Floor Only ticket.
9/23 – Registrations for IoT at Scale and SAP InnoJam in Palo Alto are now open!
9/24 – Watch a sneak peek into the IoT Scarecrow project which developers will be able to engage with at the Hackers’ Lounge. Added a link to a blog with an overview of the Developer Garage.
10/1 – Updated the information about IoT at Scale with more descriptions on topics and what the event will be about.
10/28 – Updated information about IoT at Scale.