FICA integration with FI (G-L)
FICA integration with FI (G-L)
Because of the large volume of documents, posting in FI-CA does not entail immediate updating of transaction figures in the general ledger. The FI-CA documents are instead transferred in summary form to the general ledger of the Financial Accounting component or to a non-SAP system. This improves performance and limits the volume of documents in the general ledger.
As a result, when FI-CA documents are posted, special FI-CA documents, known as totals records, are updated. The totals records are formed from the individual FI-CA documents if permitted by the account assignment and posting data. All the usual account assignments can be used in the FI-CA line item, for example, from:
* G/L accounting (company code, business area, and G/L account number)
* Profitability analysis (for example, cost center, order, and project)
The totals records are allocated to a user-defined reconciliation key. You must specify the reconciliation key if you are posting manually. In mass processing, the system creates it automatically and stores it in the document header of the FI-CA document.
Scope of Business Functions
Transfer of FI-CA Documents to the General Ledger
When a reconciliation key is closed, it is blocked for further postings. This means that no other FI-CA documents can be entered in the totals records. A closed totals record can be transferred to general ledger and posted there as an accounting document. Since the reconciliation key is recorded in those Financial Accounting documents, a link is created between FI-CA documents and FI documents. Consequently, you can itemize the totals posted in general ledger and reconcile FI-CA and the general ledger.
Account Determination (AD)
If a document is posted for a customer in FI-CA, automatic account determination determines the reconciliation account, the associated offsetting account, and one or more tax accounts, and enters them in the document. These accounts correspond to the G/L accounts to be posted in the general ledger.
Automatic account determination process:
- It is all based on Main transaction & Sub transaction mapping.
- Reconciliation account is mapped with main transactions. This integration is based on AD ID which we map at Contract Account level. So to determine proper recon account we need to map:
- AD ID maintain at CA level.
- This AD ID & recon account mapping require with main transaction.
- Define AD ID is based on business requirement. Normally it is based on region or type of customer.
- Example of mapping:
- DECC – 01 – 240100 (Main trans – AD ID – recon acc)
- Descriptive: Disconnection Charge – Rural Domestic – Sundry debtors acc for rural domestic
- Here recon accounts are mainly of sundry debtors’ accounts & security deposit liabilities account.
- Offsetting accounts are mapped with sub transactions.
- Sub transactions are defined with each main transaction as per business requirement.
- DECC – 0010 – 400010 (Main transaction – sub transaction – offsetting acc(Rev/exp))
- Descriptive: Disconnection Charge – Debit – Disconnection charges
- All posting for customer in FICA follow this account determination practice only. Either we post through SD billing mode or ISU billing-invoicing mode or FICA documents itself.
During year-end closing, it is necessary to create an itemized list at the customer level for the G/L accounts to which postings were made from FI-CA. This list is created as notes to the balance sheet, which provide an explanation of the balances on the basis of the associated individual documents. The balances for the general ledger accounts therefore need to be reconciled regularly with the balances from the individual documents in FI-CA. Reconciliation between FI-CA and the general ledger analyzes all the open item documents that belong to a totals record and forms the corresponding totals. Any differences are logged and must be investigated.