While the focus is on selling software via an online channel, I feel that some of the tips apply to any type of sales channel. In addition, some of the tips just make good product- and business-development sense in general!
I have provided a summary of the article below, but invite you to read the article in its entirety via the link above!
The 14 tips from the article
- Instead of setting up and maintaining a software development and provisioning infrastructure, consider hosting your solution in the cloud.
- Get customer feedback on an early version of your product so you can make necessary changes before you invest too much time and money in its development.
- Offer a free trial version of your product, where customers can experience your product without having to commit financially.
- Consider a “freemium” or subscription model when selling your product.
- Ensure you have a video or animation of how your product works.
- Empathize with your customers, making them aware that you know what they are going through in their business.
- Provide a structured list of your product’s features and benefits.
- Get referrals from third-parties (other customers, independent reviewers, etc.).
- Offer a guarantee.
- Provide a phone number on your Web site, so customers can contact you directly.
- Offer round-the-clock customer support.
- Have multi-channel marketing strategies (online, print, radio, etc.).
- Browse the community forums to learn more about what customers want.
- Regularly review your past strategies using metrics, and make adjustments where needed.