I started the upgrade of 7.3 portal system and sum is expecting <sid>adm password, and due to audit restriction we were not able use the <sid>adm in sum for the upgrade. I checked couple of documents about sum and I didn’t see any workaround for the same.
I checked one document which talks about DMO for HANA , observed that there was option where we can skip <sid>adm user/password(by changing the sumstart.conf file) and tried that option we moved forward but unfortunately started several issues with schema user and and several other issues(Even though I have given full permission and groups to the user) and ultimately resulted the restart of the upgrade with JSPM with the help of note 1563660 .
I checked with sap and they told that it is not meant for normal upgrade and it’s is only meant for DMO and it was not tested for other scenarios
I spent several hours for investigating the workaround and picking the wrong tool again wasted several more working hours in solving the actual issue. I checked several blogs in SDN and here I would like summarize few points which gives idea when to use sum and sum with DMO , this is not new blog with entirely new content but I would like differentiate both the tools .
Software Update Manager:
- Release uprade (major release change)
- System update (EHP installation)
- applying Support Packages (SPs) / Support Package Stacks
- applying Java patches
- correction of installed software information
SUM is used for all SAP NetWeaver based systems, so systems either based on AS ABAP, or AS Java, or based on a dual-stack system.
SUM with DMO
Database migration option (DMO) is an option in SUM – DMO is not a separate tool and this build is only using the ABAP part of SUM, called SAPup
- 1. Although DMO is based on the “standard” SUM, a new user interface (UI) is used – but only for the DMO procedure. The UI is based on SAPUI5, so it’s running in a browser, and offers some comfortable features like checking the log files without having to log on to the OS of the application server.
2. Different start procedure
SUM is started in a different way: a browser request to the SAPHostAgent is used to start SUM, instead of starting SUM from the prompt/console. This allows you to start the SAPup process without having an additional server window open
3. SUM shows a new user interface which is based on SAPUI5, which is currently exclusively available for DMO only.
4. The new UI is currently only available for the DMO procedure, but in the long run, it may become available for other use cases as well.
Where we can use
- You want to migrate your existing SAP ABAP system to the SAP HANA database
- Your SAP release needs to be upgraded prior to migration
- MO for SAP NetWeaver BW and for SAP Business Suite systems
- DMO is available with Software Update Manager 1.0 SP09, and can be used for systems based on AS ABAP. It can be used for SAP NetWeaver BW systems from 7.0 SP17 (and higher) to migrate to 7.31 (and higher). And it can be used for systems part of the SAP Business Suite 7.0 (and higher) to migrate to a level corresponding to SAP BASIS 7.40 (for example “SAP enhancement package 7 for SAP ERP 6.0”).
How to start SUM with DMO option
Run the command /usr/sap/<SID>/SUM/abap/SUMSTART confighostagent to create the file sumstart.conf in
Start the DMO Frontend with the following URL – (HTTP/HTTPS)
Using proper tools as suggested by sap will save your time And always it is recommend to use sap prefered tools and follow release notes and guides before planning any upgrade .
1600846 – JSPM/SUM Calls sapcontrol without user credentials
1563660 – sapcontrol, <sid>adm authorization issues (SUM)
SAP First Guidance – migrate BW on HANA with the
database migration option (DMO)