Blog it Forward – Sofie Graham
Who is Sofie?
I have recently joined SAP’s community collaboration team as an Intern. Currently I’m helping out with gamification, moderation and the overall community, and so far I’m having a blast!
Born in Ireland, raised in Zambia, worked in England and now living in San Francisco. I love travelling and discovering new things, but I’m bit of a tech geek at heart. Prior to SAP I worked as a game designer in England, with roles in Disney Interactive Studios, Codemasters and a social game startup. It was during these years that I grew to love consumer behavior and data driven design, so when SAP offered me a position which infused these passions with my background in games, I just couldn’t say no!
Name the person who affected you most in your career/ way of thinking and why?
When I worked at Codemasters in England I met Nick Harper, the design director of the studio. Nick was an amazing mentor to me. He had worked for many years as a designer and his enthusiasm for games was infectious. He taught me a lot about user mindsets, and how to influence behaviors with clever design.
If you were not in your current position, what/where would you be and why?
That’s a tough one, I think if I hadn’t landed a role here in California I would probably be off exploring positions in Australia or Canada. I would hope to still be working in a user behavioral or gamification field. If all else fails, I’ll take on gaming full time and become an international E-Sports champion. 😉
If you were given by your work a full day every week to do whatever you feel like, what would it be?
I love learning, so I would probably use the time to gain new skills and chow down on some Coursera courses. My skillset is very visually oriented, so doing something more technical would be awesome. I’m currently working on my SEO and analytics skills, it would be fun to have more time for that. Oh, and I’d love to learn french! Je comprends un peu, mais je ne parle pas beaucoup!
Share a fun fact/story about yourself that people don’t know
Growing up my childhood hero was Steve Irwin, so I would spend a lot of my time chasing after critters in Zambia. Once I caught a wild snake and called him ‘Fluffy’ (an obvious name for a snake right?). I took him home and hid him from my mother because she was terrified of them, but eventually she found out and said I wasn’t allowed to keep him until I found out what type of snake it was. I did, and it turned out to be a Twig Snake; a highly venomous hemotoxic species with no known anti-venom. Luckily I’d handled him well enough to not get bitten, but needless to say I couldn’t keep him. I’m still fascinated by creatures though, but I capture them with my camera lens now instead of my hands.
What is your personal life dream?
This question gets asked a lot, especially here in California since it’s full of big dreamers, but I think it’s an interesting one because I have actually already achieved my life dream. For me, the most important thing is to achieve happiness, and I do that every day, no matter how bad things get. It might sound cliché, but I feel like it gives me the freedom to enjoy life and put my whole heart into everything I do, rather than stressing about achieving one specific goal all the time.
If you could be a super hero, who would you be?
Teleportation Girl. Hands down teleportation is the BEST. POWER. EVER. I mean think about it: You could totally teleport ‘home’ to some sunny beach-house off the coast of Africa and escape these ridiculous bay area rental prices! I’d also teleport into the sky a lot, just to experience free falling hundreds of miles per hour above the world, then I’d teleport safely back to the ground…oh wait, is kinetic energy transferred when you teleport? Does that mean I would collide with the ground at a hundred miles per hour? I’d ask this question on SCN but I haven’t seen a ‘Teleportation Space’ anywhere yet.
So that about sums me up! I’mlooking forward to connecting with the fantastic professionals here on SCN, so please feel free to shoot me a line any time.
Thanks Laure for BIFing me, I would like to blog it forward to:
Caroleigh Deneen, the newest member of our gamification team.
Colleen Lee, our most recent member of the month.
And here are my questions to her:
- What was the most fun project you ever participated in and why?
- What is the best lesson your parents taught you?
- If you were an animal, what would you be and why?
Remember the rules of the game:
– Follow the Blog It Forward Chain in order to be updated when the people you blog it forward to post the links to their “Blog It Forward” blogs.
– Read Moshe’s blog again to make sure you follow the rules in your own blog:
- Provide an introduction to yourself
- Provide a fun fact about your country or yourself
- Add a cool picture of yourself or your homeland/town
- Answer specific questions that were “Blog It Forward” to you
- Answer 3-4 optional questions from the bank of questions provided below. Or choose to answer questions you make-up on your own.
- Create 1-2 personalized questions you would like to blog forward
- List at least 2 people who you are blogging it forward to. Share why you choose them. Link to their SCN profile by typing @ and then their name (e.g @HisName).Be sure to get their approval and verify that they haven’t joined BIF yet.
- Ask the community to follow the http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-30977in order to be updated when the people you “Blog It Forward” to post the links to their “Blog It Forward” blogs.
If you want to blog it forward but haven’t been “invited” yet, request to join the table.