Unleash the power of SAP HANA from your ABAP Custom Code- Accelerate your custom reports like never before Custom Code Optimization is an important step for SAP customers especially post migration to Suite on HANA. This is an exciting phase as well as the phase when the customer gets to unleash the potential of HANA directly in most of the critical custom reports that the day to day business heavily depends on.
In this blog series we wish to combine
- Experiences gained while working closely with some of the SAP customers in the custom code optimization phase and
- Some insights into the latest tools and techniques for custom code optimization available in our latest ABAP platform.
Also offer some pointers which we feel would be highly beneficial for those who wish to venture into this space
Before going further let us have a brief recap of why custom code optimization is important and relevant in the context of HANA.
- HANA is an in-memory database and supports column store tables ( in addition to row store tables). This implies that as much as the big queries that process millions of records on large data sets being much faster, poorly written ABAP code which deals with small queries in an un-optimized way might run much slower.
- Existing ABAP custom reports which could have been developed and maintained by different consultants over the years may not comply always with Open SQL Golden Rules
- With the advent of HANA there is a significant shift in the ABAP development paradigm i.e. from “data-to-code” to “code-to-data”.
The above points are just a precursor but the fact remains that developing ABAP for HANA is NOT completely different from how it used to be earlier .These points are made to send the context for introducing our ABAP development community into some cools tools and techniques that will help them to smoothly transition into the new exciting world in an absolutely non-disruptive manner.
In this blog series we will cover the different steps of a possible approach that a customer could follow in order to fully benefit from the custom code optimization phase.
Tools Required and Prerequisites
As effort estimations for adapting existing custom ABAP code are required before the start of the migration project, these tools are also provided for lower SAP NetWeaver releases. The following table summarizes the new or enhanced tools including their availability, and gives additional references for further information.
( Name / Transcation )
SQL Monitor (new)
NetWeaver standard (SQLM):
Below NetWeaver 7.4, Kernel 7.21 (PL>118) is required.
ABAP Test-cockpit (enhanced)
Transaction: ATC, (SE80)
The ABAP code inspector infrastructure is available with NetWeaver 7.0 and above. The ABAP Test Cockpit is available in NetWeaver 7.02 and above.
The enhanced code checks are available in
SQL Performance Tuning Worklist (new)
Follow up blogs
The blog series would discuss the different phases of the custom code management as follows.
- Functional Correctness – http://scn.sap.com/community/abap/hana/blog/2014/06/20/unleash-the-power-of-sap-hana-from-your-abap-custom-code-accelerate-your-custom-reports-like-never-before–functional-correctness
- Detect and Prioritize your Custom Code – Unleash the power of SAP HANA from your ABAP Custom Code- Accelerate your custom reports like never before – Detect and Prioritize your Custom Code
- Optimize your Custom Code – http://scn.sap.com/community/abap/hana/blog/2014/06/27/unleash-the-power-of-sap-hana-from-your-abap-custom-code-accelerate-your-custom-reports-like-never-before–optimize-your-custom-code
- Please note that the approach shared here is a completely iterative and flexible model which is just suggestive in nature rather than a rigid process.